Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DS-12 first impressions

This is a first impressions post about a Jeti DS-12. Coming from a DX-7 which I’ve had for almost 14 years, and still going strong without any issues, I wanted to modernize my Tx and get a few more features logging, telemetry and as always get a new piece of tech 😉
I had briefly used a DX-9 from a friend and I almost bought a used one recently but decided to go with Jeti for something different and because it seems to be the most complete system around.
Using a Rex3 receiver on a heli with Mezon RPM ESC it was easy to get everyting programmed, logging and telemetry. It is quite intuitive how everything is programmable and swapable and I had no problems moving around switches, reprogramming their functions, assigning new function. It’s actually fun doing it. All the menus are well setup and easy to understand.
Everything works as expected, the menus are actually quite intuitive with only some duplication of menu items. One thing which threw me off is that instead of ‘channel’ they use ‘servo’ ...
Setting up the Rx, configuring through the Tx and connecting and programming on a BeastX was actually easy. It probably took me around 4 hours from turning on the Tx for the first time to having a fully setup heli. It took me a little bit of time to figure out how to program the ESC through the Tx but that was sorted as well.

What I particularly like is the depth of the Jeti system. You can go as far as you like which TBH is not much on non scale helis compared to large models and scale applications.
I like how the sample rates for various parameters is different optimising a bit transmission requirements. Most are 10Hz and some are 2 or 3Hz. But I will look into this more.
Also easy was setting up on Phoenix. Just needed PPM negative on the jack some channel asignments and everyting works.
I bought the plastic DS-12 for cost but also because it is lighter than alu ones which I like. Very nice weight and reasonably good grip. But the quality of the stick mechanics and even worse the quality of the switches are two things that are not good and make the Tx feel like a trully cheap product cause these are the things you use to actually fly! Frankly the switches are terrible. Scratchy, vague and with lateral play that makes you wonder if you are moving the switch or you are feeling the lever play, especiallyon the 3-position ones. In comparison the old DX-7 feels premium and the switches are smooth as silk, positive response with no play at all. The proportional switches on the Jeti are actually OK which makes it even stranger why so poor choice on the rest. The mechanics of the sticks are low quality but workable once I get used to it. Needed lubing with some better grade grease and I’ll work on them more to get a better feel. The plastic sticks are not as solid as they should be but I knew that and will see how I handle it. But still makes me wonder...why such quality on a 600euro Tx?? No excuse.
The programming and usability are so good though that I’ll just go out and buy some good switches and swap them out. The dumb thing is that if it were not for the switches I would be very happy with this Tx.

Left wanting on this purchase.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the metal gimbals on mine. No complaints here. Much much better than the DX6 and iX12 I was using before.

Yours is the first complaint I’ve heard about the plastic gimbals.

Are you saying your toggle switches are bad as well?
Old 05-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The plastic gimbals are not the greatest and do need some tlc, at least mine did but I'm happy enough with them now. My switches are all fine. Where did you purchase, maybe you contact them?
Old 05-23-2021, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimJW yes, the switches are really poor. As I wrote, scratchy and have enough play to make it clear they are not a quality product. This is through France. If you do not have this on your ds12 then I'll contact them but I thought it was just the choice of switch on this model. Waiting for others to chime in. The switches feel so bad that I don't expect anyone having them to not notice.
apostolosnt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2021, 01:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the carbon edition so have the metal gimbals so can not compare to the plastic, I have not noticed any bad feeling with switches. Jeti use the same switches through out the range and have not seen any other reports of bad switches. This has made me get out my DS12 and try them. Only used Spektrum before but as said not a problem for me....

https://www.jetiuk.co.uk/index.php?m...cPath=46_73_76

Last edited by Island Heli; 05-23-2021 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: added link
Island Heli is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2021, 03:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Heli View Post
I bought the carbon edition so have the metal gimbals so can not compare to the plastic, I have not noticed any bad feeling with switches. Jeti use the same switches through out the range and have not seen any other reports of bad switches. This has made me get out my DS12 and try them. Only used Spektrum before but as said not a problem for me....

https://www.jetiuk.co.uk/index.php?m...cPath=46_73_76

Thanks for the info. Yes, I expected the sticks to not be great but that is not so much of a complaint but an observation.

I'll try to post a video of what I mean regarding thje switches. I can't believe it is just me. The comparison I am making is with a theoretically cheaper and much older Tx (DX-7) where the switches are trully silky smooth and with a very positive feeling.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some short videos of the play in the switches. Not sure if they will come up, I didn;t know how else to upload them so I put them on youtube.
The lateral movement of the Jeti switches makes them a little vague especially on the 3-position ones. The 'scratchiness' of the switch cannot be put in a video but they are simply not smooth.
Don't get me wrong: I am not saying they don't work. They do, but I definetely expected better quality and feel.

Jeti DS-12 switch play (0 min 4 sec)

Jeti ds-12 switch play (0 min 3 sec)

And the equivalent on the DX-7 for comparison.

Spektrum DX-7 switch play (0 min 6 sec)
Old 05-23-2021, 04:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

strange… we’ve compared both out DS-12s sticks with a clubmate with cf edition (he’s planning a 2nd one for his son and this should be a light as possible) and we all could not feel big difference… both of our DS-12s are perfect with the sticks esp. to what we had before (dx9/iX12). Really a step forwards and much more precise.

i can confirm with the switches, i had a sticky one too on mine, all perfect on my wife’s DS-12. i wrote a mail and had a new one within some days. it seems Jeti has received a batch of „not perfect“ switches, there have been some reports on German Jeti forum, but not many. i agree: should better not happen given the high level Jeti is on.

btw: the bad switch i had (it‘s the spring loaded) received 1-2 small drops of hq oil and is butter smooth now too… it‘s in the spares box now. the drops of oil have been applied to all switches now and they are really smooth now.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, in my case I would not call the feel of the sticks a step forward compared to the DX-7 which is very syrprising, even for the cheapest Jeti model. I was expecting this to need some attention and there are still adjustments that I will do as I fly more with this Tx.

I will be writing to Jeti about the switches but wanted to see if it is just me or others have similar experience. Having seen that they use the same switches in the whole range it seemed strange to have this. The batch of bad switches be at fault. Let's see what they say.

I thought of lubing but held off until I hear from Jeti and in any case it will not fix the big play in the switches.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

fully agree... anyhow it's the self-image of Jeti to be a premium rc supplier... anyone buying a Jeti Tx should be happy with it. sad enough that "far from perfect" switches passed internal qc processes as it seems to be in your case - even it's a bad batch only! hope they will replace/fix it for you quickly!
apostolosnt likes this.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just checked the switches on my DS-14, it's over 4 years old and while there's some lateral play on the switches it's maybe a third of what I see on that video. They do seem very loose in your video.

I have a newer Spektrum DX8 G2 and the Jeti switches have a little more weight and slightly more solid feel than the Spektrum switches.

I did have one faulty switch when the radio was new, it was replaced free of charge and since then I've added and moved a bunch of switches and haven't had a single problem with any of them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
I just checked the switches on my DS-14, it's over 4 years old and while there's some lateral play on the switches it's maybe a third of what I see on that video. They do seem very loose in your video.

I have a newer Spektrum DX8 G2 and the Jeti switches have a little more weight and slightly more solid feel than the Spektrum switches.

I did have one faulty switch when the radio was new, it was replaced free of charge and since then I've added and moved a bunch of switches and haven't had a single problem with any of them.

Thanks for checking the play on your Tx.
I can confirm the jeti switches on mine have a bit more weight but the solid feel is clearly with the spektrum ones.
apostolosnt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post

I came to the same conclusion as the above quote.

Switches:

I too have a Jeti DS-14 and a Jeti DS-16 and the switch play on my units does not appear as excessive as you display in your videos.

When I first bought the DS-14 (new and original owner) I placed some nitro tubing on a 2 position switch for comfort and to mark throttle hold. Well in placing the tubing on the switch it was enough to tweak the internals and the switch failed.....would only indicate one position. I ended up buying a new switch and swapped the failed switch out. This was the instance for me that made me aware that these switches are not as robust as I had hoped. However I have a few Jeti transmitter units and have not had any other switches fail other than this instance. I also no longer apply nitro tubing to the switches.

The only other transmitter I can compare to is the JR XG-14 (which I sold recently). The switches on this unit had less lateral play, required less force to actuate, and were quieter in operation. While the switches on the JR gave a quality feel they also felt less substantial to the Jeti switches which are larger in proportion. I don't consider the Jeti switches "junk" as I like the heavier feel, but I would welcome slightly better quality.

Gimbals:

Between the plastic and metal Jeti gimbals the only difference I notice is that the smooth throttle adjustment is better on the plastic gimbals. The metal gimbals have a slightly bumpy throttle while the plastic gimbal throttle side is silky smooth. I find both throttle feels to be acceptable though once adjusted to my liking.

For the centered gimbals I notice no difference between the plastic and metal construction. However I did notice that on my DS-14 the spring tension was cranked very high from the factory. I readjusted the spring tension screws so that the heads are flush or slightly raised from the housing to have a lighter feel.

The JR XG-14 had metal constructed gimbals and was known for its great gimbal feel. I enjoyed the JR gimbals and felt it was equal to the Jeti gimbals in quality and feel. The JR gimbals had much lighter springs compared to the Jeti and it did take me a few days to adjust to the Jeti gimbals heftier spring feel. The JR gimbals were positioned at an angle in the transmitter body which was great for thumbers, but not ideal for pinchers. I much prefer gimbals on a flat plane like Jeti (and everyone else) has done.
Shear Pin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say my DS-12 Carbon has slightly more lateral play in the switches compared to my Spektrum DX9. See the video below.

The switching action is heavier and feels more substantial, more "clunk", on the DS-12.

I can't say that I've noticed one being "better" than the other in actual flying use.

DS-12 vs DX9 switches (0 min 35 sec)

As for the metal gimbals, I find them excellent, and the action/end stops are significantly more crisp than on the DX9.

Having said that, I absolutely needed to carefully adjust the tension and apply teflon tape on the throttle stick when I first got my DS-12. From the factory I was not happy with the throttle stick smoothness, it was sticky and the friction was uneven through the stick travel. After teflon modding it however, it is perfect. (I also felt I had to teflon mod the DX9 when I got that, as well).
nickthenorse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Reading the comments about the switches and gimbals I think a summary would be along the lilnes:
Jeti switches are 'heavier' than spektrum,
Jeti switches have lateral play that does not seem to register 'negatively' with users or is not worse than other Txs people have,

Jeti gimbals are viewed as excellent by most.

Most people commenting have the higher end models so that changes things a bit.
The plastic gimbals are OK with the adjustments and lubbing but not great by any means.

It may be a personnal opinion on the feel of the switches (rough/scratchy with a lot of play) and may be affected by the near perfect DX7 that I have!

They work OK but it is just that nagging feeling that they should be much better on a brand name Tx.
Jeti have not responded to my email from last Monday so still waiting to see what they say.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I torqued on my DX6/iX12 switches as hard as it looked Nick was in his video, I’d have broken the skinny one straight off. (I have actually broken switches on the Spektrum; luckily the LHS was ‘qualified’ to do the repair)

I’ll say that the side to side play on my Jeti DS-12 is negligible. Sounds like a bad batch.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve been flying with my DS-16 for years and other than 1 switch broken in transport, I haven’t had any issues with the switches on it. I brought a DS-12 as soon as they released and have found the plastic sticks to be very good once adjusted. I really struggle to tell the difference between the plastic sticks in my 12 and the metal ones in my 16.

//Dennis
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys are referring to the plastic gimbals or are you saying your actual sticks are plastic? I also bought very early, a preorder, but mine has alloy sticks (plastic gimbals though).
Old 05-30-2021, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarks View Post
You guys are referring to the plastic gimbals or are you saying your actual sticks are plastic? I also bought very early, a preorder, but mine has alloy sticks (plastic gimbals though).
Blarks, the difference can be seen at the links below:

Plastic gimbal
https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tra...e-plastic.aspx

Metal gimbal
https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tra...ode-black.aspx

The threaded shaft and sphere base is aluminum and a shared part on all Jeti gimbals. The plastic version is simply a cost reduced version of the full aluminum "metal" gimbals.

I like bother versions and feel the plastic version has a smoother non-ratchet throttle. Otherwise both gimbals feel identical to me.
Rabid121 likes this.
Shear Pin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2021, 02:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Shear pin, I thought the guys may have been talking about the actual sticks ( not the gimbal assembly)being plastic not metal, which i thought was odd if so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in