Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2021, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have few questions about the setup

1-Active freewheeling- default disabled, should I leave it like that?

2-Motor rotation- ccw, but I switched 2 of the 3 motor/esc wires itself

3-Governor gain- default level 1, is there a way to disable (only levels 1-4 are options)

And lastly for the speed governing page,
4-Setting the DGR?

Pinion- is that the motor pulley?
Main drive gear- is that how many teeth on the main gear?
Drive gear ratio- ???

And of course for the remainder of that page, what settings can I use ?
Or can I leave that at the default?

I’ve included a few pics and info of my setup On my Kraken 580
I only hover and light sport fly.
H0310-S tail pulley
19 tooth motor pulley
Tail belt tensioner
Xnova 4020 1200kv
Avian 120 esc
Kst x15 1208
Xpert Kd1t
Spektrum fc6250

Thank you very much for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C57B2755-B6AF-480C-909A-DBF0199CDFFF_1622346688298.png
Views:	15
Size:	5.99 MB
ID:	919611   Click image for larger version

Name:	14CD65A8-AE48-43DA-A6E6-A681F2921B2E_1622346703821.png
Views:	10
Size:	5.84 MB
ID:	919613   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F6CB1DA-04A2-484D-BCD7-EFBA9AB866B0_1622346725719.png
Views:	9
Size:	6.28 MB
ID:	919615   Click image for larger version

Name:	396BA9E2-B62D-4DA7-A776-EF68D7B401B6_1622346735637.png
Views:	10
Size:	6.01 MB
ID:	919617  

Last edited by Blion; 05-29-2021 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Forgot pictures
Blion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I can answer some but not all as I can't remember even seeing a couple of those settings when I did mine. Use active Freewheeling as it will allow settings to be use fairly low as it is tied to the duty cycle of the FET's. It allows the ESC to run a lot cooler. Don't bother with the rotation direction if you have already switched the wires. The result is the same. Governor gain does need a basic setting but if you increase it for better power during heavy maneuvers, keep an ear out for pulsing of the motor speed and the tail making pulsing sounds as well if you have increased it to 3 or 4. Those sounds should tell you to back down one number and try again as you don't want that surging in the motor system.

I don't know a lot about the last page. In my estimation, it is a calculator for you to determine what settings you should have in your throttle curves. Once I had entered the motor settings, I was able to move the slider to see what percentage on the throttle curve I would set my modes to. I do believe that 60 is the minimum so that is where I set my initial spool up for my scale helicopter. I then increased it until I got the reading on my screen to where I wanted the rpm range to be in each flight mode. I am sure that there is a Help page or pointer for each of the settings so see if you can find those and use them. I do not know what changing the time on the Auto Reset does or where I should set it so I think I lowered it as I have been bitten by coming out of an autorotation and the spool up was as if it was just started for the first time. I had no idea what I was doing with that ESC at the time. You can also ask on the HW forum for more help as the software settings are exactly the same as the ESC is made by HW.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you “Keyrigger”
Your info is great help.

I can’t find any information for this esc, besides just a 1-2 line quick explanation of the features in the manual. The manual also doesn’t include my 120 amp, just the 100amp. But I’m told it’s the same

Also do you know if this 120amp esc comes in store “governor “ mode?

Online and HW and videos keep referring to change it to store gov. ( or option to change) I don’t see any options for that. I’ve tried Plugged into the computer with the programmer and with just the programmer.
Thank you
Old 05-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Unless you are intending to use an in-gyro governor, there are only two options, Fixed wing and Helicopter (Store Governor). That is where mine is as I use the built-in governor in the 120. I am sure that once the 6250 gyro is set with an onboard governor, I will most likely set it in there for a much smoother spool-up for scale. Take care.

Don
Old 05-30-2021, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

🤯🤬
I can’t believe I couldn’t think of that.
That helps so much
I had it in fixed wing

Thank you so much again Keyrigger
Old 05-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gov calibration, is there a way to confirm that the esc accepted it?
HW, just plug in the programmer as it’ll show you.

As for setting the DGR
I input the 19T motor pulley and the 50T main gear on the kraken.

I’m assuming idle 1 is normal mode, idle 2 is idle up 1, and idle 3 is idle up 2

But does anyone know how to actually input the Rpm’s?

I put 2180 as idle up 2, and idle up 3 ( not at the same time) but as soon as I hit enter the value disappears, I’ve also tried inputting the value then clicking in the spot for the next value. It also disappears.
And the calculator slider doesn’t show the rpm, only the percentage.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F739BB1C-4B9F-456A-85D7-FCADFEB590C2_1622409327232.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	919743  
Old 05-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

You do not program the ESC but use that as the way to find out what you should set your transmitter throttle line to. You will see a percentage on the graph and that is the percentage you should set your throttle to. I know you are not going to get the correct reading from the pinion and gear you mentioned because your system is a two stage gear setup. You need to calculate the entire gear ratio and from what I remember, they will give you the output based on the pinion you choose. Today, I needed to bump up the rpm so I simply changed the numbers of the flat line until they were increased to where I wanted them. Your ESC will output to a telemetry equipped SRXL2 remote which will be picked up and made available in your transmitter. You need to fill in the gear ratio and pole count and then have a look at the output when you spool up the helicopter. I am going for a top rpm of 1400 and I have gotten it up to 1380 under load so another couple of points up should do it. The beauty of this ability to make settings as you need them is that you can have as many flight modes as you want and have a different speed for each of them. Right now, I have four flight modes plus Hold and each one of the four flight modes is a different rpm setting. You're getting close.

Don
Old 05-31-2021, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, ok,
thank you very much again

I got a chance after work to fly it, everything seems to work ok’ish
I need the initial start of the blades to start the slower, it looks like the blades almost hit the grips as the head starts to spin to quickly. Even when I increase the the left tx stick very slowly. It doesn’t hit, blades look good
So I believe, that issue resides within my settings. I’m assuming the esc
And
The throttle doesn’t start till the left tx stick is almost half way. Though it doesn’t seem like it loses power once flying and coming in for a landing. (Found this out a really nerve wrecking way, on my maiden flight) Just on start up. 🤔

Just hovering and some level circuits I seem to be getting 4min with a 5000 45c Gens Ace with avg. 3.9v /cell
Is that avg?

Thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in