Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Futaba radio 2021. Will the 18sz be replaced?

I'm wondering about buying a new Futaba radio and have been cehecking the 18sz. But I see that it's been on the market since 2015 and may be due for a sucsessor soon? Is there any new regaring new releases for Futaba?

Also, ss the 18sz worth the money over 16sz? I dont need extra trims, but Life battery may be nice and 2 extra channels?
Superduke1290r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you run the cgy760 have a look at the 16iZ. The gyro integration is nice, same color touch screen as the 16/18sz. Cost less, has a 2000 mah lipo.
Even if you don’t use the wireless tuning the gyro setup is way better than using the programming box.

My biggest complaint is the switch spacing. I prefer a wider space for my fat finger.

Team MasterCard. Team Kontronik.
smittylube is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittylube View Post
If you run the cgy760 have a look at the 16iZ. The gyro integration is nice, same color touch screen as the 16/18sz. Cost less, has a 2000 mah lipo.
Even if you don’t use the wireless tuning the gyro setup is way better than using the programming box.

My biggest complaint is the switch spacing. I prefer a wider space for my fat finger.
Thanks, good advice. I actualy have cgy760. I have so many FASST receivers and as I understand the 16iz is not compatible? So the 18sz and 16sz dont do wireless programming? Then perhaps updated 18sz will come soon...
Old 04-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Futaba radio 2021. Will the 18sz be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduke1290r View Post
Thanks, good advice. I actualy have cgy760. I have so many FASST receivers and as I understand the 16iz is not compatible? So the 18sz and 16sz dont do wireless programming? Then perhaps updated 18sz will come soon...

The 16IZ is compatible with all 2.4 GHz FASSTest/FASST/T-FHSS/S-FHSS System receivers... and it has 18 channels as well. RCGroups has a forum for the 16IZ with more details as well. For example the LCD screen on the new 16IZ is brighter than the older 16/18 SZ series and easier to read in direct sunlight. The gimbals are the same as the 16sz/14SG. Futaba targeted the 16IZ as a mid level radio with unique and full integration with CGY760. Wireless programming a.k.a. “Integration” is only possible on the 16IZ and 32MZ with only with the CGY760.
KC8CYF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2021, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8CYF View Post
The 16IZ is compatible with all 2.4 GHz FASSTest/FASST/T-FHSS/S-FHSS System receivers...
Not in the EU. 16IZ radios in the EU do not do FASST.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Not in the EU. 16IZ radios in the EU do not do FASST.
Thats what I read too. Is it possible to flash non eu firmware to a eu radio? Or is it hardcoded to the transmitter? Anybody know?
Old 04-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

AS far as I have been informed, the updates will not be zone specific - just general.
The 16iZ for the European zone is currently waiting for Futaba to get the batteries being used to be certified for use in Europe !

modtron
Oxford UK
modtron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduke1290r View Post
Thats what I read too. Is it possible to flash non eu firmware to a eu radio? Or is it hardcoded to the transmitter? Anybody know?
As noted above it is not a software thing.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

So any new Futaba radios will probably not have Fasst in the future in EU? Then it would be best to buy the 18sz if you want Fasst?
Old 05-02-2021, 04:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Then you will not be able to have the 760 programming & flight tuning from the transmitter with the 18SZ ?
In time, you will see FASST receivers disappear from the range as well.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 05-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any chance cgy760r programming will come to 16 and 18sz?
anthony1 likes this.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am told that the 16iZ will eventually replace the existing 16SZ, so no would be the answer there - and I believe its also a no for the 18SZ.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 05-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 16SZ 760 and wondered about the connectivity with the 16iZ.

It appears the 16iZ radio replaces the 760 programming box. But, for full programming of the 760, a WIRE is needed. Just like using the programming box.

The WIRELESS function appears to be the same as the programming box. So only wireless control of these functions with either programming box or 16iZ.

(The above is what it appears from the Futaba site. If wrong, please correct me.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 8.32.29 AM.png
Views:	53
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	917007  
lcc014 and mlp3028 like this.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The attachment is what I find from the manual. Looks like the 16lz initially programs with a cable and tunes wireless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16lz.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	917125  
lcc014 likes this.
mlp3028 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2021, 05:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

From what I have read in other places the 16SZ, 18SZ, and 18MZ do not have the hardware to be able to program the 760 like the way the 16iz and 32mz can.

Kinda rubbed me wrong since we were told that these radios would be able to when the 760 was initially released. But hey to me, I set it up once, tune it, then fly it and don't fiddle. Once I crash or swap stuff out then I might tune again but that doesn't happen often. So for me being able to program it by the radio isn't that important.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp3028 View Post
The attachment is what I find from the manual. Looks like the 16lz initially programs with a cable and tunes wireless.
Yes, you use a cable (mae->male servo type wire) to connect the TX to the 760 the first time. After that most tuning is done using the TX without the cable. No GPB-1 needed as well.
mlp3028 likes this.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The initial good faith belief that the 18SZ and 16SZ would support integration occurred before the extent of the hardware capability to run the new software was known. The 18SZ and 16SZ lack the internal memory to handle the update. Were it to be added, they would have to cut other functionality to the disappointment of customers who enjoy other modeling disciplines. I am aware of no looming replacement for the 18SZ.

Ben Minor
mlp3028 likes this.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
No GPB-1 needed as well.
are you sure the program box is not necessary at all for the CGY760R firmware updates ?
dreamteam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemn615 View Post
From what I have read in other places the 16SZ, 18SZ, and 18MZ do not have the hardware to be able to program the 760 like the way the 16iz and 32mz can.
this is not a valid excuse to me as the open source powered radios can perform this with Brain and Spirit which have zero partnership with the radio maker.

this is not new news, they had also promised telemetry functionality for the old 14MZ and guess what ?
you had to buy a new radio but this time Futaba is no longer among the top 3 best radio sellers and they are seriously playing with fire and losing many customers day by day

indeed, it's been demonstrated that other radios without telemetry had the hardware ready for its purpose
dreamteam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamteam View Post
this is not a valid excuse to me as the open source powered radios can perform this with Brain and Spirit which have zero partnership with the radio maker.

this is not new news, they had also promised telemetry functionality for the old 14MZ and guess what ?
you had to buy a new radio but this time Futaba is no longer among the top 3 best radio sellers and they are seriously playing with fire and losing many customers day by day

indeed, it's been demonstrated that other radios without telemetry had the hardware ready for its purpose

While I agree that Futaba should NOT put just enough hardware to get what they currently have to work they didn't do that. I think some of it is just that they want what they have to work and work well so putting extra in their equipment seems like a waste.

I am hoping with the 32 and the 16iz they have learned from previous mistakes and will not follow that same path going forward but continue to have the same level of quality they currently have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in