Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Considering moving to Jeti

Time to upgrade my transmitter.

Iíve always had Futaba in the past but have decided to look at alternative brands.

So Iíve been looking at Futaba, FrSky and Jeti.

Very different prices, with Jeti at the top, FrSky at the bottom.

The price of FrSky is certainly attractive but Iím not convinced yet.

When it comes to Jeti I have no prior experience. The pricing model tripped me up initially , it looked bot pricey but okay at first but then ai spotted all the software extras needed to turn on functionality.

Then Iím a little unsure about the range, Iím looking at the DS, so DS-12, DS-14 and DS-16.

I get the DS-12 and the DS-16 but less so than the DS-14. A fully upgraded DS-12 seems more capable but slightly cheaper than a base DS-14. And I wonder where a fully upgraded DS-14 would end up compared with a DS-16.

The other thing I need to get my head around is the cost of fitting out a plane. I understand the receivers but not sure about telemetry as Iíve never had telemetry before. Would I have to use Jeti telemetry or can you use any telemetry sensors.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DS-14 was part of the range before the DS-12 existed. I think the main advantage of the DS-14 now over the 12 is that it still has dual 2.4Ghz antenna, but I think either the 12 or 14 is a fine choice to start with Jeti.

Most of the time you need to use Jeti telemetry sensors, but some higher end ESCs, and many FBL controllers will talk to Jeti natively. I know MSH Brain, Spirit and the older Spartan Vortex can all be programmed directly from the radio, which is great for tuning.

I picked up a DS-14 years ago, and have slowly added features as I need them. It's really only as I've added more complex planes to my fleet that I've started using all the features, I've just upgraded from 8 to 14 channels for a Jeti Assist powered plane, and I find the Jeti much, much easier to program and understand than even a Spektrum radio. And once you've made the investment in receivers they just move from model to model as your fleet matures. I've had my Jeti 5 years now, and fully expect to be flying the same radio in another 10.

Plus these days you have the advantage of Harry Curzon on YouTube with dozens and dozens of videos walking through all kinds of tips and tricks in the programming.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
nheather likes this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

PS. One thing I absolutely love about Jeti is that for every model you can set where the switches should be as you power on the radio, or change to that model.

The fact it actually shows you exactly which switches need correcting, and that it won't bind until you do, means you always power on models safely, and stops you doing dumb stuff like powering on and watching landing gear retract. 😁

nheather likes this.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve had my DS-12 for a little under a year now. I opted for the Special Edition Carbon version to get the metal gimbals.

The really good thing about the modules, is that you can add what you actually need, and add new modules at any time. It does kinda suck to think that the radio already has all the functionality built in but isn’t enabled. It helped me to figure out what modules I actually needed vs. just getting all of them.

I got the following:
Accelerometer
Flight Modes - up to 6
Telemetry analysis via graphs
Voice output
Channels - up to 12
Vibration Alarms

The only must have is the ‘Flight Modes - up to 6’ in my opinion. It makes setting up Throttle Cut / Throttle Hold / IU1/IU2/IU3 very easy. (I’m sure you could do without it in a pinch as well, but it’s much trickier to setup)

I haven’t used the ‘Accelerometer’ function yet. It allows you to tilt the transmitter and activate alerts or other functions.

The other things are nice to haves. I rarely look at graphs, and could get away with 8 channels if I wanted to. I would add more displayed telemetry (Values on display up to 40)

I’m sure it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but the DS-12 Spirit Edition is a good value for Heli pilots, even if you aren’t using a Spirit FBL. It includes a number of modules that are useful for Heli’s. (Off the top of my head, I won’t try to list them). From the product page:
Quote:
Difference from stock DUPLEX DS-12:

Extra Module: Flight Modes - up to 6
Extra Module: Telemetry analysis via graphs
Extra Module: Channels - up to 16
Extra Module: Function curves
Spirit firmware
https://store.spirit-system.com/en/r...lex-ds-12.html

(FYI, nowadays with ‘Flat’ throttle curves, the module ‘Function curves’ isn’t necessary. Flat and linear curves are already in the base configuration)

There was a thread a while back that discussed what modules others recommended. Sorry I couldn’t find it…

I put together a thread on RXs for Heli’s a while back :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
I'm in the middle of converting my fleet to Jeti. So I'm new, not too familiar with Jeti and I have a bunch of receivers to install!

If there is anyone in the future that ends up looking for how the different RXs compare, hopefully this will help. I'm in the US so receivers are limited to what is available... (I wish I had a EX R3 REX and a EX R7 Nano to show)

So on hand I have:
1) R3/RSW
2) EX R5 light (Bundled with my DS-12)
3) EX R4 light (2)

I'm still working on putting things in, so no 'real world' type of review here but I wanted to try to summarize the differences between the receivers. If I get it wrong I'm sure another Freak will set me straight. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif[/IMG]

Thoughts:
  • They are all about the same size / weight
  • The R4 and R5 lights have shorter antenna
  • The R3/RSW has longer antenna
  • The EX Bus port on the R5 is at the opposite end, next to the antenna
  • R3/RSW has a 'Hardcase', others are shrink wrapped
  • Range should be reasonably similar provided antenna are in the clear (harder with short antenna [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif[/IMG])
  • All will work with Jeti EX Bus and in my case integrate with an IKON2 FBL
  • The R4 should integrate and provide full IKON2 telemetry even though Jeti states that it has limited telemetry. The telemetry that Jeti is referring to in that statement is the A1 / A2, the individual antenna info from the RX. Q the overall signal strength is still there and IKON telemetry and integration work.

Hope this helps [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif[/IMG]

I'm coming from Spektrum so for comparison, here's a shot with the new SPM4651T and a Lemon Satellite.
Further down in the thread, I included the REX3 and R7nano RXs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post

Just adding the R7 nano and a REX3 image to the comparison:
Attachment 884839

The R7 is a really small Rx suitable for a back yard flyer like an Oxy2 or OMP. Note how short the antenna is. (Has anyone ever extended one with a coaxial antenna used for the other receivers)

The REX3 is identical in size to the R3/RSW but has more EX ports for additional telemetry sensors.

The REX3 is available with 3 or 4 antenna options. The first is with 100mm the second is with 200mm (-A20) and 400mm (-A40) I have seen the 200mm antenna offered with and without the Balums (the bulges). The 100mm don’t have Balums and all the 400mm have Balums. As far as I can tell any REX 3 that end in A20/A40 have the Balums. Without the extension you might be getting a 100 or 200mm without the Balums. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

I’d like to make a plea to for the REX 3 to be certified in the US!
nheather likes this.

Last edited by JimJW; 06-05-2021 at 06:30 PM..
JimJW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Many thanks for the reply.

I had previously looked at the standard DS-12, but then quickly at the Special Edition as the extras seemed good value.

The problem I had with the software is that I didn’t really know what I needed so was looking at the three packs, but then I just ended up factoring them all in. As you say it’s probably best to start out with the base transmitter and then just add the features as needed.

How would you compare metal gimbals over plastic. As far as I can tell the standard DS-12 and the new DS-14 II have plastic gimbals while the DS-12 special edition and the DS-16 have metal gimbals.

The main UK Agent is only 20 miles from my home so I will pay them a visit.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 06-06-2021, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have used the plastic and metal DS-12. They feel about the same.

Edit: There is a new DS14 as well. So it looks like they have the full 12/14/16 lineup now.

You can upgrade as you go, or just get it all at once with a small discount.

Last edited by BuildFlyCrashRepeat; 06-06-2021 at 10:24 AM..
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildFlyCrashRepeat View Post

I donít think the DS-14 is a consideration anymore with the release of the 12 and 16.

You can upgrade as you go, or just get it all at once with a small discount.

Given that the DS-14 II has been announced, it is certainly worth considering.
acrow is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrow View Post
What improvements does the DS-14 II bring, the colour screen is obvious, but what else.

I don’t find what is being offered very clear - when I go to the main UK store, it says that it can be pre-ordered and also allows me to put in a factory order. It gives the price of the transmitter alone (which I assume would be taken as soon as I place the order) but there is no information about what individual software add-ons and packs there are so I find it difficult to compare it with the DS-12.

Generally, I think the software add-ons are a double-edged sword. Great idea that you just buy what you need. But for people like me, who are not quite sure which individual add-ons are needed the discounted packs are attractive, but that become an impediment to sales because I’m no longer seeing a £550 DS-12 but one that costs £900 (or £1000 for the special edition).

It would be good to see a better description of what each add-on does, how much it costs (I have only ever been able to see prices for the packs for the DS-12) and maybe some suggestions of useful collections.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 06-06-2021, 03:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

for a heli-only-pilot the ds-14-II is maybe not that interesting, but if you are flying planes too, the 14-II maybe worth a closer look. almost all the guys flying planes prefer the 2 sliders over 2 knobsÖ which is the most important mechanical difference between them.

Ciao
Michael
Old 06-06-2021, 03:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post

..... but there is no information about what individual software add-ons and packs there are so I find it difficult to compare it with the DS-12.
Hi Nigel

If you go to the Jeti software site you can see the optional units and prices for any model whether you have one registered or not.
nheather likes this.
acrow is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the DS-14-II includes a major processor and memory update allowing more LUA apps, a 900Mhz transmitter as well, enabling more redundancy, and the colour screen.

The main Jeti website will have a list of the updates.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrow View Post
I did not know that. Thanks for informing me. I have edited my post.
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

As a Jeti owner my self (DS16) you might want to look at V control. The V Control system have a very nice integrated system with a nice touch screen and very user friendly menu system.

The jeti does allow programming of Sprite, Ikon/Brain2, BD, FBL controllers from the transmitter. However it's very clunky and its text based while the Vcontrol has a nice window like touch screen type interface. The V Control also display's telemetry much nicer. Jeti still does it, it just a little easier and nicer on the V Control.

The V control on the other hand is set up to work with the V Bar control. Others may work, but you lose the integration.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
As a Jeti owner my self (DS16) you might want to look at V control. The V Control system have a very nice integrated system with a nice touch screen and very user friendly menu system.

The jeti does allow programming of Sprite, Ikon/Brain2, BD, FBL controllers from the transmitter. However it's very clunky and its text based while the Vcontrol has a nice window like touch screen type interface. The V Control also display's telemetry much nicer. Jeti still does it, it just a little easier and nicer on the V Control.

The V control on the other hand is set up to work with the V Bar control. Others may work, but you lose the integration.
Wow, if the Jeti is clunky, then what is the Spektrum? I didn’t think the integration with Ikon/Brain is ‘texted’ based. I tried to use ‘Integration’ with Ikon and Spektrum and found it more painful than a trip to the dentist.

That said, the VBar stuff sounds pretty great, and I don’t doubt that the system is more integrated and has a cleaner interface. …and if the OP wasn’t flying airplanes as well it could be an option. (Yes, there are RXs for planks as well but it’s a relatively limited ecosystem). It’s worth considering for sure!
Old 06-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jeti - worth exploring IMHO

The Spirit FBL has a setup wizard [runs on the Jeti TX] which enables the full setup of the Spirit FBL directly from the Jeti TX - "clunky" it is not. As to other FBL integration, I can't speak to them, other than BD3SX, which had no setup wizard (when I used them last in 2019-2020) but you can tune [some] BD FBL settings from the Jeti TX.

Having flown with Jeti, Futaba, Spektrum, and FrSky (Open TX) for me personally, the Jeti radio is hands down the most feature-rich and intuitive system. I have both a DS-16 and a DS-12. I notice no discernable difference between the DS-16/DS-12 gimbals when flying.

The Spirit setup wizard runs on my monochrome DS-16, which may seem "clunky" when compared to the color screen of the DS-12.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I seldom turn off my DS-12 between flights. I typically fly about two-two and a half hours each morning. I charge the radio once a week on average.

Telemetry integration with Kontronik, YGE, and HW ESC's is fantastic!

Jeti is easy to learn and very flexible, you can do a lot with Jeti, in the end, I feel it comes down to personal preference - and some pilots prefer to fly with a system other pilots they know are using, the support of "tribal knowledge" might be helpful for some pilots.

Esprit Model offers a Jeti "test drive" - a great way to get hands-on experience before you buy. Try it first hand and form your own unbiased opinion.

Added bonus for Jeti Heli pilots:
I now use Spirt-RS FBL with integrated Jeti RX. The Spirt FBL flies fantastic and I love the tight integration between Jeti and Spirit. I have cut my cost per heli significantly by using the Spirit-RS. For heli pilots with more than a couple of heli's the Jeti TX w/Spirit-RS is a fantastic combo and affordable to boot! That said, if the Spirit didn't fly as well or better than the BD3SX I wouldn't have switched no matter the cost savings.
Sp4wn likes this.
TDR TDSF TDF, DIABOLO-BE, GENESIS, RAW 700, KRAKEN 700, JETI+SPIRIT GTR
Roadkinghd is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are a pincher, then the DS-14 and DS-16 gives your hands a little more room. The DS-12 is a little more cramped for a pincher.
nheather likes this.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFuss View Post
If you are a pincher, then the DS-14 and DS-16 gives your hands a little more room. The DS-12 is a little more cramped for a pincher.
This is correct. I had to remove the 2 top knobs.
Roadkinghd likes this.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildFlyCrashRepeat View Post
This is correct. I had to remove the 2 top knobs.
+1 - I haven't missed the top pots after removing them.
TDR TDSF TDF, DIABOLO-BE, GENESIS, RAW 700, KRAKEN 700, JETI+SPIRIT GTR
Roadkinghd is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got a DS-12 Spirit edition , just curious what did you put in place on knobs, plugs or another switches
neckis is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pluds

I used the plugs from Esprit Tech , they work great.

Last edited by mgrezmer; 06-06-2021 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Not paying attention!
mgrezmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in