Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OMP M1/M2

OMP M1/M2 OMP M1/M2 support

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2021, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default to get one or not (M2)

Probably not the best place to make this post as this forum will obviously be in favor of just getting one. still curious to what other people with a a similar experience to me has to say. So the question is the M2 whether to get one or not. there's one available locally with a few extra batteries and carbon vtx blades. It's a version two but not sure if it has the V4 esc with the 'taly' feature.

So why am I not just getting one you ask? well I've had lots of bad luck with micro helicopters. It may be that I fly them like a maniac and therefore crash them more. But I always encounter problems I've never had on a 450 or larger(yes still crash them). For reference I have owned Blade Nano cpx, Mcpx BL, 130X. T-rex 150 and trex 250dfc. it's always tail or fbl related problems. chips fried on main board of nano and mcpx. broken tiny tail wire on 150x and just tail gear slippage on the 250.

It seems little helicopters will always be plagued with problems which takes money and many crashes to solve. From what I've seen the M2 doesn't have tiny tail motor and main motor wires like the T-rex 150. I will never by a Blade helicopter again and smaller than a 450 from align is also a no go. Maybe it's time to try a different brand?

all input would be appreciated thanks.
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2021, 03:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started well with the M2 but then run into recurrent problems with tail holding after 200 flights. I changed the tail motor, ESC and gyro to no avail. I was thinking of sending it back to Sunnysky in China but the border was closed because of Covid. Eventually I think the problem was down to the tail motors but I am not sure.

I found that it was not that durable either, with the main blades and main shaft being easily damaged in a crash. Moreover, it did not fit my flying style. I like doing fast continuous flips and rolls but it gets out of position quite quick, in contrast to my other micro Brain/Ikon controlled helicopters. I certain feel much more nervous flying it than my much larger Oxy 4.

Anyway, the cost got so prohibitive after 400 flights and I have given up on it. In contrast, the electronics on the M1 has been very reliable so far. I have had a lot of problems with micro helicopters as well so perhaps it is down to bad luck on my part. I found that the most reliable micro so far is the Blade 150S which I have put a micro Brain into.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

First off, there's no such thing as carbon VTX blades that size. The LOGO 200 "VTX" blades are just the regular OMP blades painted differently.

Otherwise, if you can check and confirm that it's got the V4 ESC, you'll be golden- otherwise it's possible to get it updated. I personally wouldn't want to fly without TALY anymore.

The problems you're describing you had with microhelis are largely a non issue with the M2. There is no transmission of any kind in that heli, so all the gears, belts and tail mechanics just don't exist and can't really break. In a crash, as long as it isn't too hard, you'll mostly break the sacrificial servo arms, which are cheap to replace. It of course is possible to break things like the tail motor if you crash directly onto them hard enough- the swap is simple though.

Bonus points for how it flies, too. The helis you mentioned all fly like microhelis. Not very precise, sloppy, underpowered, not very locked in. The M2 does away with all those traits and flirs seriously larger than it is, with a precision and stabili no other microheli can deliver.
Clinton1 and Beserkr like this.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was in the same camp as you, I hated micros (I made this clear in posts here many times so it's on the record).. But the M2 changed all that. It's like no micro heli before it, I'm sure you would enjoy it. My M2 goes out with me every weekend along with the big ones.

The TALY feature is easy to check for on the bench (just give left rudder and see if the main motor speeds up or not). It can be added by software update, but currently only a few dealers can do the upgrade (both flight contrller and ESC need the new software).

And by the way, the 'VTX' blades are exactly the same as the standard OMP blades, just with 'VTX' printed on. They are all made of carbon reinforced plastic. Dont be conned into thinking they add any value to the heli.
rspiegel likes this.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I started well with the M2 but then run into recurrent problems with tail holding after 200 flights.
I'd be happy to do the TALY update for you. For a fellow Helifreak I'll do it for free on this occasion. It would just cost you return post, which wouldn't be very much if you just send the FC and ESC boards.

PM if interested.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie View Post
I'd be happy to do the TALY update for you. For a fellow Helifreak I'll do it for free on this occasion. It would just cost you return post, which wouldn't be very much if you just send the FC and ESC boards.

PM if interested.
Thanks for your offer. I can get it easily done over here. But I am inclined to buy a new M2 EXP rather than to persist with the existing one.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would love to have the TALY upgrade done but not sure if that's possible with me living in Dubai
mohawk777us is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Love the m2 so much that I bought a second one. I have the explore which is great in crashes.
adam crosby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am kind of a novice, so take this for what it is worth. I picked up a M2 V2 a couple of weeks ago. I put usually 4 or more flights on it per day. It is great, if I don't feel like going to my regular flying spot, I charge it up and fly in the backyard. It is awesome, I love it. Flies good, it is really stable if you set it up right. I haven't crashed it yet, so I can't speak to the durability of it.

ChrisM
ChrisM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I want one to fly in the backyard. although for the same price I can get two 450s even though second hand as I'm only capable of buying a second hand M2 as well locally. So price is a concern and I really can't be bothered to bash my head due to tail and fbl issues on a micro especially if it has it's own preparatory Flight controller. The tail motor wires always seem to get damaged. But I've seen mostly good things about the M2 to maybe it's worth the risk for a nice reward.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you check if you have the V4 esc?
leoNzepoL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2021, 12:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoNzepoL View Post
How do you check if you have the V4 esc?
See post #4
RustyChain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2021, 01:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

As mentioned earlier, I had repeated problems with tail motor failures in mid-flight which was not solved by changing either the tail motor, ESC, or control board. I decided to give it another go this time by buying a completely new M2 Explore with stock controlled. What a big mistake.

The first 2 flights were normal but then the tail motor failed on the 3rd flight. I then purchased 3 replacement tail motors. Two of them failed within a minute into the first flight. The last one had 1 good flight but failed quickly on the 2nd.

This is just utter nonsense. I feel like stomping hard on this POS heli. I have had over 80 helis and flown over 20,000 flights and I have experienced anything as bad as this. The only credible explanation is that parts destined for the local China market are not as high quality as those for overseas markets.

I may be able to claim warranty for the 3 failed tail motors. But is there anything that could be causing this problem?
Old 06-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

vibration, vibration and vibration.

Check main shaft and feathering shaft.

Check blades for trueness (not bent/nicked due to a ground strike)

Check for balance although I have not seen this as a problem.

I burned out 3 myself. Slightly bent main shaft I could not see by removing blades and spinning the thing up. Once I fixed that, the tail motor has been running cool and without problems for at least a hundred flights.

You can always lift off for 30 seconds, land and feel the motor. If hot, you almost certainly have a vibration issue. If you hold it solidly in your hand, blade arc not pointing at you, then spin it up, you should not feel any shaking whatsoever.

If you do not, then no idea what your problem might be. Perhaps FBL or ESC,
AMA #118235
BobHyatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you running for headspeed and tail gain zadaw?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The complete metal head and swashplate was from my old M2 and they are the only parts that were common to both helicopters. I found that the feathering shaft was slightly bent and have replaced. However the tail motor still fried today after 2 flights. This time it was very hot and it seized up completely. I am using the stock OMP transmitter for this heli and left the gains as they were.

Anyway, I have sold this heli to Smoggie who kindly agreed to take it off me and investigate. Hopefully, he will be able to sort it out quickly.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crazy.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine was actually a main shaft bent so little that I could not see it. But once I replaced it, all was cool again with the tail motor...
AMA #118235
BobHyatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2021, 03:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

a small heli super sensitive to any vibes isn't good. Especially if the vibration is cause by the slightest bends. micro helis are used to practice after the sim time
Old 06-28-2021, 05:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailblade94 View Post
a small heli super sensitive to any vibes isn't good. Especially if the vibration is cause by the slightest bends. micro helis are used to practice after the sim time
The heli will let you know very quickly if something's bent. I flew my M2 with a bent spindle once because I missed it. The tail drifted all over the place, it wasn't really flyable. There's no way you'd miss that.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in