Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 500/570

SAB Goblin 500/570 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 500/570 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also about to pull the trigger on a 580 and I'm wondering why choose the KST X15s over the BLS815? Going with a larger, stronger brushless servo (which is also cheaper) seems like a no brainer to me.
Wyldcardz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldcardz View Post
I am also about to pull the trigger on a 580 and I'm wondering why choose the KST X15s over the BLS815? Going with a larger, stronger brushless servo (which is also cheaper) seems like a no brainer to me.
You're comparing a std vs mini sized servo, which is also heavier. Get whatever servo size you want. Some want to try and stay light.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
You're comparing a std vs mini sized servo, which is also heavier. Get whatever servo size you want. Some want to try and stay light.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Well after doing a ton of research I may also go with mini servos, the same KST x15s. How well will they push 600mm blades if I decided to go bigger?

Last edited by Wyldcardz; 07-03-2021 at 01:29 AM..
Old 07-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm considering a 580 build as well, and also considering going the KST route for a change - I'm guessing the SAB servo horns don't fit the KST, so curious if those running them are using the arms that come with?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm used to the KST 215's having a different output spline, but looks like the mini's use futaba.

That said, which model X15 are folks running? X15-1208?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m View Post
I'm considering a 580 build as well, and also considering going the KST route for a change - I'm guessing the SAB servo horns don't fit the KST, so curious if those running them are using the arms that come with?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm used to the KST 215's having a different output spline, but looks like the mini's use futaba.

I have seen alot of builds using the X15-1208, they seem to be a popular servo for the 580. I think I might still go with a full size servo in case I want to swing 600mm blades in the future.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldcardz View Post
I have seen alot of builds using the X15-1208, they seem to be a popular servo for the 580. I think I might still go with a full size servo in case I want to swing 600mm blades in the future.

I hear you, I'm tempted to go the Xpert R2 route, and I have no experience with KST and am always leery of change ha! They get great reviews, so I'm sure it's good.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, the X15-1208 with the SAB HA050-S servo arms. Got the X20-1035 as a tail servo.
Fusion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2021, 11:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
Yes, the X15-1208 with the SAB HA050-S servo arms. Got the X20-1035 as a tail servo.
You liking them? It's so difficult to try an unknown (to me of course) servo on a relatively expensive model - but there's few other mini servos that match up.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running KSTs on my Trex 470 and I have been nothing but happy with them. It's the same reason I am sticking with KST on my much more expensive Kraken 580. I'm sure you really can't go wrong with any modern servo from an established brand.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You liking them? It's so difficult to try an unknown (to me of course) servo on a relatively expensive model - but there's few other mini servos that match up.

I love them. I use the KST DS215MGs on my Fusion 360 (ditched the Spektrum 3055/3065 ones) and they were very reliable, so I choose KST for the 580 as well.

You can always go with BK related ones, if it makes you more comfortable, like the Torqs or the BKs if they have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I love them. I use the KST DS215MGs on my Fusion 360 (ditched the Spektrum 3055/3065 ones) and they were very reliable, so I choose KST for the 580 as well.

You can always go with BK related ones, if it makes you more comfortable, like the Torqs or the BKs if they have them.

I see BK just released their new 9005/9001 brushless full size servos... interesting, specs would indicate that they're mighty little beasts.

I'm still torn on mini vs. full size. Those X15's looks great, but so does the X20 combo...I ordered the full size mounts just in case.

I certainly see most are running mini's, so it's clearly ample. Eh, tough call for sure. I have everything else I need except these darn servos - this happens to me every time I do a build
Old 07-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do not own any mini size servos, but mini size cyclic servos seem to be very popular for this helicopter and other similar size helis. The main attributes of mini size servos seem to be lighter weight, similar performance, and cheaper cost compared to standard size servos. However, a down size of mini size servos is they don't seem to survive crashes as well as full size servos.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2021, 09:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamel View Post
I do not own any mini size servos, but mini size cyclic servos seem to be very popular for this helicopter and other similar size helis. The main attributes of mini size servos seem to be lighter weight, similar performance, and cheaper cost compared to standard size servos. However, a down size of mini size servos is they don't seem to survive crashes as well as full size servos.
I wouldn't way they have similar performance. Full size servos can easily have twice as much torque, only the speeds seem similar.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I used KST X20s for my build (still in the process of building) with TORQ servo washers instead of what’s included with the servos or the Kraken kit. I ended up having to file down part of the mounting ears of the two front cyclic servos to get them to mount flush with the bracket. I’m not sure if this is because of the servo or the TORQ washers though. It wasn’t a big deal. Only a very minor portion needed to be filed. I can post pics later. I was surprised to see that the TORQ servo washers were brass and not aluminum.

I decided to go 12S with my build and have the motor. I haven’t decided on an esc yet. I was going to go with Hobbywing, but I’m now looking at other options.

Last edited by xenon55; 07-11-2021 at 09:52 AM..
xenon55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon55 View Post
I used KST X20s for my build (still in the process of building) with TORQ servo washers instead of what’s included with the servos or the Kraken kit. I ended up having to file down part of the mounting ears of the two front cyclic servos to get them to mount flush with the bracket. I’m not sure if this because of the servo or the TORQ washers though. It wasn’t a big deal. Only a very minor portion needed to be filed. I can post pics later. I was surprised to see that the TORQ servo washers were brass and not aluminum.

I decided to go 12S with my build and have the motor. I haven’t decided on an esc yet. I was going to go with Hobbywing, but I’m now looking at other options.

Interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of that. It'd be helpful to know if the brass grommets are the culprit. I'd hate to take a file to spendy servos, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet to make things work

I'm hoping feedback starts rolling in on the new BK full size servos. The specs are almost too good to be true.

Also looking at trying Futaba for a change, specifically the new(ish) HC700's. Awfully expensive considering the specs aren't particularly noteworthy - though certainly plenty for my needs!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here are the areas I had to clearance for the servos to sit flush against the bracket. If you decide to go with the same setup, replace the mounting bolts/screws that come with the kit with some that are 6mm long instead of the 8mm that are included. The 6mm are almost flush with the back of the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6058.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	923787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6057.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	777.3 KB
ID:	923789  
xenon55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon55 View Post
Here are the areas I had to clearance for the servos to sit flush against the bracket. If you decide to go with the same setup, replace the mounting bolts/screws that come with the kit with some that are 6mm long instead of the 8mm that are included. The 6mm are almost flush with the back of the bracket.

Thanks for the photos! That's odd, as Jhamel mounted some Xperts that are the same width and didn't seem to encounter that issue...At least the X20 specs suggest they're 20mm wide, same as R2/KD1..

Good to know regardless, I appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
What was wrong with the servo arms that come with the X15s?
gfitz396 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Kraken 580 build recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfitz396 View Post

They are good, but the SAB ones seem about twice as thick and strong. I had a thinner servo arm (advised by manufacturer, other brand) fail once on a smaller heli and ever since I don’t take risks.

Last edited by Fusion; 07-25-2021 at 12:49 PM..
Old 07-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfitz396 View Post
Absolutely nothing.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in