Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default From FrSky to JETI

Hey All,
I am considering updating my radio gear having used frsky equipment for many years, most recently the x10s. The JETI DS-12 carbon seems like an obvious choice but I'm unclear on RXs I'd want.

Representative of my helis includes the following with the current RX indicated:

Oxy 2: R-XSR
Goblin 280 fireball: R-XSR
Goblin 380 / Goblin 500 / Align 500X: X4RSB
Goblin 700 (gasoline powered) : X8R Pro

I use IKON 2 all around and telemetry is a requirement for all but the Oxy 2 and fireball. Integration (e.g. setup) of the IKON is also a requirement, again with same exceptions. All need serial bus support.

Thanks in advance for any ideas here.
--Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

On you’re smaller Heli’s an R4L or R5L would be ok. The larger ones I’d recommend the R3/RSW.

I’m running an R7nano on one Oxy2, and a R4L on my second. My SAB 280s have an R5 on the fireball, and My mini comet is getting a R3/RSW. My Goblin380 has a R4L. My 500+ are Rex3 and R3/RSWs…

If the REX3 or R7nano were available, I’d recommend the R7nano for the oxy2 and Rex3s instead of the R3/RSWs.

See my thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
Quote:
I'm in the middle of converting my fleet to Jeti. So I'm new, not too familiar with Jeti and I have a bunch of receivers to install!

If there is anyone in the future that ends up looking for how the different RXs compare, hopefully this will help. I'm in the US so receivers are limited to what is available... (I wish I had a EX R3 REX and a EX R7 Nano to show)

So on hand I have:
1) R3/RSW
2) EX R5 light (Bundled with my DS-12)
3) EX R4 light (2)

I'm still working on putting things in, so no 'real world' type of review here but I wanted to try to summarize the differences between the receivers. If I get it wrong I'm sure another Freak will set me straight. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif[/IMG]

Thoughts:
  • They are all about the same size / weight
  • The R4 and R5 lights have shorter antenna
  • The R3/RSW has longer antenna
  • The EX Bus port on the R5 is at the opposite end, next to the antenna
  • R3/RSW has a 'Hardcase', others are shrink wrapped
  • Range should be reasonably similar provided antenna are in the clear (harder with short antenna [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif[/IMG])
  • All will work with Jeti EX Bus and in my case integrate with an IKON2 FBL
  • The R4 should integrate and provide full IKON2 telemetry even though Jeti states that it has limited telemetry. The telemetry that Jeti is referring to in that statement is the A1 / A2, the individual antenna info from the RX. Q the overall signal strength is still there and IKON telemetry and integration work.

Hope this helps [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif[/IMG]

I'm coming from Spektrum so for comparison, here's a shot with the new SPM4651T and a Lemon Satellite.
Just adding the R7 nano and a REX3 image to the comparison:
Attachment 884839

The R7 is a really small Rx suitable for a back yard flyer like an Oxy2 or OMP. Note how short the antenna is. (Has anyone ever extended one with a coaxial antenna used for the other receivers)

The REX3 is identical in size to the R3/RSW but has more EX ports for additional telemetry sensors.

The REX3 is available with 3 or 4 antenna options. The first is with 100mm the second is with 200mm (-A20) and 400mm (-A40) I have seen the 200mm antenna offered with and without the Balums (the bulges). The 100mm don’t have Balums and all the 400mm have Balums. As far as I can tell any REX 3 that end in A20/A40 have the Balums. Without the extension you might be getting a 100 or 200mm without the Balums. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

I’d like to make a plea to for the REX 3 to be certified in the US!
Old 06-08-2021, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
On youre smaller Helis an R4L or R5L would be ok. The larger ones Id recommend the R3/RSW.

Im running an R7nano on one Oxy2, and a R4L on my second. My SAB 280s have an R5 on the fireball, and My mini comet is getting a R3/RSW. My Goblin380 has a R4L. My 500+ are Rex3 and R3/RSWs

If the REX3 or R7nano were available, Id recommend the R7nano for the oxy2 and Rex3s instead of the R3/RSWs.

See my thread:
Thanks! Great info.
Did you get the DS-12 "standard" or carbon edition. I'm curious about the difference in feel between the metal and plastic sticks.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

(I have the Carbon Edition)

Might want to go over the thread a couple clicks down:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildFlyCrashRepeat View Post
Like I said earlier, I have tried both the plastic and metal gimbals. They feel about the same. I don't think someone could differentiate them in a blind test.
Correct, I have both on mine (one was a alloy replacement I got cheap) and I would be very surprised if someone could tell which gimbal was alloy and which was plastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid121 View Post
same here... we own 2 DS-12s and a club mate the special edition with metal gimbals... we did compare and we all did not feel any big difference (given the fact all have different tension and stick lengths setup).

Ciao
Michael

Last edited by JimJW; 06-08-2021 at 10:52 PM..
JimJW is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recommend REX receivers wherever possible since they support two EX-Bus ports as well as a legacy telemetry port. They're the newer type of receiver and the most flexible for moving to other models in the future. I mostly use the REX6 as it's nice and compact, but for Heli use with an iKON absolutely any of their receivers works.

I'm in the UK, so the R7 nano is perfect for the Oxy2, and again supports Ex-Bus so you can program the FBL straight from the radio.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2021, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
(I have the Carbon Edition)

Might want to go over the thread a couple clicks down:
Dang, I should have looked down there. Thanks! Good info there. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Potentially stupid question.
Can someone explain the "gyro settings" option that can be added. Looking at the ds14 g2 and it includes 1 upgradable to 3. Does this involve the TXs gyro or the FBLs?
Tom
Old 07-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoth3 View Post
Potentially stupid question.
Can someone explain the "gyro settings" option that can be added. Looking at the ds14 g2 and it includes 1 upgradable to 3. Does this involve the TXs gyro or the FBLs?
Tom
If I remember correctly, it allows 3 separate gyro settings in the TX. Normally you only need one, for the tail. (You wouldn’t need the upgrade IMO)

Each gyro channel is fully functional. Mine is setup with a switch for HH or Rate, and allows separate gains for each Flight Mode. In addition, you can set a knob for fine tuning if you want.

It has nothing to do with with gains associated with flight modes in the FBL. If you’re setting tail gains in the FBL (Ikon calls it ‘set in software’ ) then you won’t use the gyro function at all in the TX
Old 07-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a DC-24 the gyro function is included but it is the worst function in the Tx.
For gyro you can use a channel assigned to a knob to do your initial set up and use the curves ( linear) limiting it between the usual limit for your gyro, 40 to 80 for example. Once you have the final value just flatten the curve to that value and de-assign the knob.

The gyro function acts weirdly with knobs needing funny set up to achieve the linear change that is easily done with the curve function. I never use it if I can avoid it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in