Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By dogbreath
  • 1 Post By JimJW
  • 2 Post By myxiplx
  • 2 Post By blarks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 06:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DS-12 Special Carbon Edition

Hi,

Thinking of moving to Jeti, still not decided between the DS-14 or DS-12 but leaning towards the DS-12.

If I were to go DS-12 I then have a second decision, do I go for the standard edition or the carbon special edition.

As I understand it the special edition gives me
  • Grey finish plastic body
  • Carbon faceplate
  • Metal gimbals
  • Metal buttons
  • Aluminium carry case
  • R5L receiver

for an extra 120

At first glance that looks very good value - but - I would never use the case (guess I could sell it) and I am not a fan of how it looks (I think it is the carbon and the logo around the power button (each to their own, I am sure that there are those that love it).

So that leaves me with the receiver, buttons and gimbals.

The receiver is worth 63 but not probably one I would choose to buy, but it would work in my sports foamy.

Metal gimbals sound good, the DS-16 has metal gimbals so it makes it sound like a real upgrade but I have read that it is extremely difficult to tell the difference and that some even prefer the plastic gimbals.

Metal buttons - what does that include - is it all knobs, buttons and scroll wheel - it’s not clear in the product listing.

Plus the special edition is continually going out of stock, if I made a devision today I would have to wait.

Anyone tried both the standard and special edition with any opinions.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited by nheather; 06-10-2021 at 09:08 AM..
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The case remains plastic for the DS-12 carbons, both the gray and the black editions. (edit) Wait, if you mean carrying case, in that case (see the pun?) you are correct. Word on some other threads is that no one can really tell the difference between metal and plastic gimbals. Knobs remain plastic, I believe metal is just the trim buttons and the ESC button. Some features are already unlocked, but the choices are entirely your preference.

Dan
nheather likes this.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The knobs are definitely plastic on the Special Carbon Edition. I’ve thought about getting the metal knobs with the lever extension but it’s not a priority. I mainly have the tail gain on one knob and am dialed in on most of the Heli’s I’m flying a lot.

Honestly, I’m not sure if the buttons are metal or chrome plated plastic. They look very good…

The nuts holding the switches in are plastic. They are very secure, and don’t come loose all the time like my older radio. (So I haven’t gone out to get the metal ones)

The modules included with the Special Carbon Edition are the same as the Standard version. It’s the Spirit Edition that includes a handful of modules useful for Heli’s. The Spirit Edition menu options are now included in the standard firmware as well. The Spirit Edition is basically a Red Standard DS-12 with ‘Spirit Branding’ and some included modules.
nheather likes this.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Many thanks for the info, if going for a DS-12 Id be inclined to go with the standard one then - but what colour.

Of course I might go for the DS-14 instead - but that would depend how heavy it feels in my hands.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 06-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DS-14 does feel heavy for the first couple of weeks, but then you get used to it.

Now it just feels solid, and most other radios I handle feel like toys. :-D

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
FrankFuss and nheather like this.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
The DS-14 does feel heavy for the first couple of weeks, but then you get used to it.

Now it just feels solid, and most other radios I handle feel like toys. :-D

Do you fly with a tray, neck strap, or nothing?

I'm a thumber, fly with a neck strap.

My current Futaba is 825g, so a little heavier than the DS-12 but a fair bit lighter than the DS-14.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 06-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a thumber, and fly a mix of with and without a neck strap.

On helis I often fly without, but if I'm hand launching a plane, I usually make a point of wearing one. :-)

myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2021, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DS12 is slightly smaller than the previous DS range, and the sticks are slightly closer together. I went from a DX6 to the carbon grey DS12 and its a very similar fit in the hands (I thumb). The gimbles do feel a bit better than my mate's standard DS12 but that might be just me. I am relatively new to the Jeti but I "think" the carbon grey gimbles allow you to rotate them if needed, whereas the standard DS12 doesn't? Could be wrong on that one. Oh yeah, the DS12 is a fair bit lighter than the previous DS units too.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
AndyO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
The DS12 is slightly smaller than the previous DS range, and the sticks are slightly closer together. I went from a DX6 to the carbon grey DS12 and its a very similar fit in the hands (I thumb). The gimbles do feel a bit better than my mate's standard DS12 but that might be just me. I am relatively new to the Jeti but I "think" the carbon grey gimbles allow you to rotate them if needed, whereas the standard DS12 doesn't? Could be wrong on that one. Oh yeah, the DS12 is a fair bit lighter than the previous DS units too.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
The standard you can rotate the right stick a little and with a slight mod most likely the left as well. I have my right stick rotated.
Rabid121 and AndyO like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in