Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

this video. Browsing YouTube when I was probably, I'm guessing, 9 or 10 years old.
rc airplane (6 min 33 sec)

first RC video I ever saw. I was into planes at the very beginning (mostly small foamies), and eventually made my way to helis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tower hobbies catalogue.

Concept 30 in 1993. then a blade cp then blade msr. Rest is history.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My dad was into control line planes circa 1959, bought me a B29 balsa kit which he helped me build.
Never took the time to learn to pilot planes, though.
Jump ahead to mid 1970s, I was into HO slot cars, found a proper hobby shop with a track to race on, lo and behold one of the employees had a Kavan Jet Ranger, I was hooked.
Read every magazine I could get ahold of, and bought a Schluter HeliBoy.
My first proper radio was a JR Century Seven I mail ordered C.O.D. from Circus Hobbies in Las Vegas.
Tower Hobbies provided the other necessities.
A lot of trial and error and a helicopter shop that specialized in GMP and Hirobo an hour an a half away got me hovering.

From there it was all downhill.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have always been fascintated with rc heli.
1987 I went in Toys 'r us and bought a cox 049 and slap on some legs thinking it's gona fly like a heli I still have it!!

Sometimes in 1997 my cousin gave me a shuttle zx, I fixed it up but then never flew it and then sold it.

2006 bought me a little airhogs havoc micro, had a blast with it then bought me a Walkera 22d. Biggest pos ever made but it's also the beginning of the journey and memories.

2007 bought me a blade cp, learned how to fly, then later a trex 450 and ever since I been hooked
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was first into cars and still am but haven't driven in some time, due to helis. I think it may have been a Szabo vid that fully urged me to try helis but it didn't last long, then it was a Tareq video a few years back and have been draining my bank account ever since.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mall maggots and Syma 107.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Started by my dad back in 1972 with a CG Lil' Wizard with the typical Cox .049. Progressed to a Sig Super Chipmunk with an Enya .29. Finally found RC and the Enya came out of the Chipmunk after a crash and was converted with a carb and put on a Sig Kadet. Next was the semi-scale Super Chipmunk with an Enya 60 and a specially made Bisson muffler by George, himself. Now, with that in mind, there was not much challenge left for me aside from pattern (I built one but never flew it) so I cannot remember how I found a Schluter Heli-Baby in 1977 but I did and that was the real seed that was planted. It took until 2009 to sprout where it found me buying a mall copter one Labour Day weekend in Buffalo that refused to fly to the right but would fly in circles to the left. An interim Helimax micro FP that Tuesday morning and a few weeks later found me with a Venom Night Ranger, a Blade CP Pro2, and a Blade 400. That was all by Christmas of 2009. And the rest is history.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 11:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

In 1968, when I met Phil Kraft.
MikeUSA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was breaking a knarly meth habit about 15 years ago. My older brother was having me drive him around one day and after a series of OTHER random stops he had me turn into a parking lot of a hobby store so he could get a couple parts for his rc car.

He had to yank me out of the store. They had helicopters hanging from the ceiling MAN!

I don't know how he affords his hobby to this day. He's still junked. And his cars mostly are too. I had a job and my next paycheck got me a blade CX2. Within a year I had machined every part and replaced them. Blades, gears, everything. Needless to say it did not get off the ground.

I did that a couple more times and then...

!GOBLIN!

So much fanboi

Amazing 12s

I don't really mess with lil ones anymore. Oh and I quit the meth. Clean and sober 13 years.

I honestly thought that helicopters were going to keep me sober. I built my 1st 600 completely stoned out of my mind. Now I rely on God. Thank God I didn't fly that lawnmower into a human. Never crashed that thing. Retired it.

Welp. You asked. That's my true story.
rdlohr, CagedVR6, soangp and 8 others like this.
HeliBeachBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Huh?
MikeUSA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How did you end up discovering this hobby?

Well that’s more interesting than my story.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 02:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been hooked on anything that flies all my life. Built MANY MANY plastic airplane models as a little guy. No money! Joined the Marine Corps in "69. I was a T-64 turbine engine mechanic. Yes, I went "over there". Spent many hours flying in full size H46, and H53 helos. Been flying and building planes for about 25 or so years and then about three years ago lost a leg. Well, that meant runways were dificult to access, so I took up helis and taught myself to fly them. Here I am!
Helique likes this.
JohnCl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 03:22 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How did you end up discovering this hobby?

I blamed my girl friend (now my wife) for giving me a 4ch toy grade coaxial as birthday gifts around 8 years ago!

Although I liked RC stuff and flying stuff (those hand-flown planes or foamies etc.), I never thought of flying a RC heli. That (devil/dang/whatever you name it) coaxial just instantly hooked me into the rabbit hole of RC heli world…and the rest is history.

I think my wife would blame herself on that decision…being (sometimes) made her a heli widow.😅

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HumanYeung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 04:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like there are quite a few wives/girlfriends out there thinking stores should put a warning label on toy helicopters!

🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 04:40 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My uncle's were always into something r/c and one had an early heli which he couldn't figure out and early 2000 I could afford a few toys and always liked helis so I started flying. Learned on my own and never looked back.
dschertz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

It all started bout 11 years ago for me. A Brookstone store employee was flying a 3-channel co-axial heli "toy" around customers in the store. My wife was very annoyed at the guy, but for me, needless to say, it caught my attention. It was around the holidays, so I purchased two of those toy helis to play with my 9 year old daughter. The rest is history.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamel View Post
It all started bout 11 years ago for me. A Brookstone store employee was flying a 3-channel co-axial heli "toy" around customers in the store. My wife was very annoyed at the guy, but for me, needless to say, it caught my attention. It was around the holidays, so I purchased two of those toy helis to play with my 9 year old daughter. The rest is history.
Bit of the same. Purchased a cheap mall coax for my father in law for christmas one year. He flew it once into a wall and gave up, but I actually got decent with it in a few orientations and was doing some fast passes. Found the local hobby shop and the owner invited me out to his field that weekend.....there happened to be a pro/sponsored pilot doing a demo with a TT 700 nitro when I got there and my pupil's dilated......
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Sounds like there are quite a few wives/girlfriends out there thinking stores should put a warning label on toy helicopters!

🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Believe me. That’s useless. That warning sign should be on every RC stuff’s package/websites/advertisements to be “effective”.

(If there’s any manufacturer stupid enough to do so. 🤣🤣🤣&#129315

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HumanYeung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Found a issue of RC Modeler in my grade school library about 50 years ago. RC Modeler gone as are most all other hobby related mags. Do kids still read books? Do schools even still have library's?
similar here, I found another magazine at a kiosk... in 1999 or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1ceiAFtSZL.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	921613  
dreamteam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew sailplanes a bit as a kid. Lack of transportation, lack of skill and lack of funds kept it on an occasional level for me. Then I discovered girls, or rather, I discovered that the attraction didn't ever always only necessarily flow one way. In other words, getting a girlfriend wasn't as unrealistic as my becoming an NFL quarterback.

Then a few years ago, someone gave me a little Blade MCX2 as a Christmas gift, probably because they didn't know what else to give me.

I loved that little thing. My kids were demanding helicopter shows three times a day, and I would practice when they were asleep. I only had the AA battery powered charger and one battery, so I remember waiting for the light on the charger to blink so that I would be able to fly again.

I still fly my MCX2 from time to time. In some ways, it is my favorite helicopter, because it showed me that I could learn to fly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in