Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

10 years ago a co-worker bought a fixed pitch RTF. He knew I was into racing rc cars, so he let me fly it. Within a month I had a 120sr two mcpxBL and a simulator.
Lynx Heli field rep. lynxheli.com
wstuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great stories, keep them coming.

I didn't realize the mini copters were such a gateway path for so many. Youtube videos seem to be a close second. Magazines making an impact as well.....I miss the printed magazines and used to subscribe to quite a few.....it was always a surprise to see if there was an interesting article when I got one in the mail.
Shear Pin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Circa 1978, RC Modeler magazine with a Bell 206 (Painted in Circus Circus scheme) on the cover. Thought that was pretty darn cool. Seed planted.

1980, a trip to the LHS with my Dad and we came home with a Baron 20. Built twice, crashed twice, forgotten about. Seed dormant.

Fast forward 28 years...

2008, my 40th birthday, Brothers in law bought me a Syma 107. That little heli awakened the seed like Jack's bean stalk and there was no turning back...

2008 -Syma 107......................................(met demise)
2008 -Blade 120SR.................................(currently collecting dust)
2009 -Blade 450 3D.................................(resurrected this May)
2011 -Align 600ESP.................................(online)
2013 -Align 600ESP in MD500 600 size..(sold)
2014 -Align 600ESP in MD500 700 size..(online)
2015 -Align 600ESP in B222 600 size.....(sold)
2016 -Align 600ESP in B222 700size......(online)
2017 -Trex 700E in BK-117 1/5 Scale......(online)
2019 -Trex 700E in MD500 1/4 Scale......(online)
2021 -Trex 700E......................................(online)
2022 - ???

Old 06-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many years ago my kids bouight me a lanyu cessna 4 ch plank. I had flown RC airplanes when I was younger and it brought back fond memories. My wife, several years latter bought me an Artech RedWolf coaxial heli. Now, I think she may regret that! But it's great when she asks why I need another helicopter and I can reply with... well remember that heli YOU bought me years ago...
Old 06-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have always been an aviation nut for as long as I can remember, and love anything that flies. I started flying RC planes around 10 years old, and the club that I flew with held a yearly fun fly called the Rotary Ringout. I had only been flying planes for a few years at that point, but the moment I saw what a heli was capable of I was hooked. I had a Trex 450 shortly after that and was on my way. I still regularly fly planes, but definitely love the helis more.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

I blame Ray Hostetler, ever hear of him?

jhamel and Heliwhisperer like this.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:01 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwizard View Post
I blame Ray Hostetler, ever hear of him?

I never got that manual. I did start with the Rotary magazines though. I just winged it for my first heli and while I was on my first I found a hobby shop that actually carried stuff so that propelled me. Went to Hirobo machines and never thought twice. Loved the Freya.
dschertz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #48 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Started RC in high school. First a plane then a car. Saw an RC heli in a mag but unaffordable. Fast forward many decades and saw a nitro heli at a park trying to hover. Thought that looks cool. Bought a Raptor and never looked back
Old 06-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I grew up in Champaign IL, home of Tower Hobbies and Great Planes. RC stuff was everywhere, but I could never afford it. A friend and I used to go to the field just to watch everything. Helicopters were always especially fascinating to me. FF to about 20 years later and an ad popped up for Banana Hobbies and the Walkera helicopters. Looked so easy to fly. Ha. But I bought one and the rest is history.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mid 90's - once I found out there was such a thing as an RC heli - I had the good fortune of being made aware of Airborne Hobbies (Dallas) owned by then Mike Cingari. Went there and got Hirobo Shuttle, radio, etc. He (Mike) actually flew the thing first flight after I built it, nothing fell off ha ha. I then learned to hover on RotoPod training gear. Well, good ol' Andy Van Vooren worked at the store with Mike - he eventually bought the business and it became Aero Hobbies (now closed unfortunately).
Still hopelessly addicted.
gmann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2021, 10:46 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bladerunner2-2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	922255  
Mrowka likes this.
zguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2021, 12:14 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My father love to watch the RC models when some US soliders brought some to their camp near my grandpa house in Saigon back to 60's.
When I was a kid, 8 or 9 yrs old I dont rememeber exactly (around 1994-1995), there is a RC field about 15km away (about 10 miles) from my house. I dont know how my father knew that field, but then he took me there almost every weekend, by bicycle or motorbike. And I dreamt to have one after that because RC model is very expensive at that time.
But I only can get one after I graduated from university and got the first job in 2009. At first, I just want to get a nitro plane to fly around. But when I got to the RC field, and see some helicopters do some 3D, I decided to have a helicopter.
My first helicopter is the Esky Lama V3 and my first CP 6ch heli is the Esky Belt CP. And I also helped my father to fly a 6ch heli for the 1st time too.
Then this hobby is not only hobby but also a big part of my career as I worked for one of big RC heli manufacturer and distributor in RC heli market.
xoexoe likes this.
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2021, 12:48 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My girlfriend bought me a little Airhog toy helicopter for Christmas 10 years ago.....I then got on the internet to see if I could make it fly better.
soangp and Mrowka like this.
Blade 300X, OMP M2V2, DX9
Xciler8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Havoc helis from walmart. then a solo pro, then a blade120, then an mcpx times ten, then a blade 230s times three, then a couple of xk-k110's. thats about it. brand new used dx6i that i paid $100 for out of the for sale forums here. No sim.

my best trick... extreme nose in inverted hovering into a giant rainbow punch out. :rotc

I take off and land nose in.
jackovart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #55 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Sounds like small toy helis are the gateway drug. It was for me as well. My wife had me pick out one for Father's Day one year and the rest is history.
The thing I bought, I think it was a Mosquito, was hardly flyable and I ruined it within 3 flights, but I was hooked.

Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found John Salt's website about rc helis. Then shortly there after i found helifreak. i immediately thought... "i'm...I'm one of you"

IMHO i think rc helis are the end all to everything rc. Especially the little ones. But it isn't easy and this weeds out many a wanderer.
rdlohr likes this.

Last edited by jackovart; 06-25-2021 at 07:59 PM..
jackovart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got into nitro planes when I was about 13 and I found dads old airplane in the basement. Did that for a couple years and I did see a helicopter fly at our local club one day. I couldn’t believe how fast and agile it was, but this was in the mid 90’s, and he didn’t even go inverted or anything. I was blown away by it simply doing stall turns and such. It made an impression on me but I got out of the RC hobbies when jobs and cars and girlfriends claimed all my spare time.

So I was completely away from RC till I was about 29, and single with a decent paycheck, when I saw on YouTube (rcpowers channel. They were flite test before flite test was flite test. Lol.) what lipo batteries and brushless motors were capable of on airplanes, so I got into scratch built foamies and one day watching airplane videos, I saw a vid of Alan Szabo Jr flying an align heli and I thought for Sure it was CGI. It took several more vids and some reading to convince me this 3d stuff was actually possible. I decided I had to try it. so here I am, 12 years and a small fortune later, still not able to fly like Alan. Lol
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2021, 12:48 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionate View Post

I saw a vid of Alan Szabo Jr flying an align heli and I thought for Sure it was CGI. It took several more vids and some reading to convince me this 3d stuff was actually possible. I decided I had to try it. so here I am, 12 years and a small fortune later, still not able to fly like Alan. Lol
I don't remember the first actual 3D heli video I saw on YouTube, but I had the same impression......this has to be fake, forgered, or altered video in some manner. I had to view several other videos before I grasped that heli's were capable of this type of flight.

As a kid I didn't have the luxury of a flight field near me so my understanding of both plane and heli flight was simply what I inferred from still magazine pictures of that time frame (80's and 90's). Miss the printed magazines that have died off, but YouTube sure is revealing of capabilities of this hobby.
Shear Pin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
The thing I bought, I think it was a Mosquito, was hardly flyable and I ruined it within 3 flights, but I was hooked.

Rick
That is the one I saw in a Hobby shop at the mall, I was just walking by and I had to have it, it looked so cool. I said I am going to learn to fly it, so I got it not knowing a thing about them. It was a CP heli . I can`t count the times I straightened the feathering shaft with a hammer.
Anyway a couple years later I finally got a sim and a coaxial heli to learn on.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #60 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotrob View Post
That is the one I saw in a Hobby shop at the mall, I was just walking by and I had to have it, it looked so cool. I said I am going to learn to fly it, so I got it not knowing a thing about them. It was a CP heli . I can`t count the times I straightened the feathering shaft with a hammer.
Anyway a couple years later I finally got a sim and a coaxial heli to learn on.
So I looked back and it was actually a Megatech House Fly. You clued me in since it was all plastic garbage, no metal to bend back. I went on to get a Hirobo XRB Llama coaxial heli that was fantastic. That one taught me basic control.

I went from there I went to a Blade CP. That heli was a love/hate relationship. The gyro was horrible and it spent lots of time doing 360s, non commanded. That used to freak me out since I could barely fly let alone deal with anything other than tail in. It was OK doing forward flight though and I did learn to do circuits with it.

From there I got one of the early Align 450SEs with a GY401 gyro and that heli was nirvana by comparison. That was my first "real" heli. I still have a piece of broken wooden main blade signed and dated from my first somewhat controlled inverted hover. I was doing fine till I realized it was getting further away as I hovered and BANG into a fence it went (7 in the morning, figured I woke the whole neighborhood). Those were the days.

Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 06-29-2021 at 11:38 AM..
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in