Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Avian 60A with SAB Goblin Fireball 280 ESC

Hi everyone,

I was jumping into the Hobby mid of last year with a Fireball and set it up with the included 60A SAB (HobbyWing) ESC using the Spektrum FC6250HX.
I got it running quite well after some issues at the beginning Ö
So currently itís just flying, learning and having fun!

Anyway, I got to the point where I wanted to have some telemetry - mostly to start tinkering again.

As the FC6250hx was not the best option for telemetry options outside Spektrum as of now, I was considering the Avian 60A ESC (itís a rebranded HW anyway I think!?!).

Long story short: I got it and built it in. Was a tight fit and needed some rework (cable lengh) etc. but worked well. I programmed the thing as close to SAB ESC as possible (StoGov etc.). When firing it up the motor was just stuttering(shaking)? First thought was bad connection/soldering on the motor cables. But everything was still working with the SAB ESC. So thatís not the issue.

Going back to programing and just for testing purposes put it into fixed wing mode. AndÖtada... rotor spooling up. So seems like StoGov of the Avian not working correctly with the SAB direct drive motor (Competition version). As no other option for the motor is available thatís a dead end to me as of now.

I am just hoping that HH is addressing this issue with a firmware update at some point or is getting the FC6250hx running a gov. I will send a mail to customer service I guess.

Itís actually quite disappointing especially as on the hardware side the ESCs should be nearly identical. Iíll keep it on the shelf until hopefully some update is availabl But weíll see...

Until then I'll keep flying with the SAB ESC.

As I was not able to find any constructive info on the web it would be interesting if someone else had the issue too and maybe even solved it. If so any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
HuiHui is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Change the timing to low.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Don,

actually tried different timings already when I was programming without success.

At the moment I have the SAB ESC installed again to get some flying time.

But I will try once again as soon as I do have the Heli sit on the bench again.

Thanks for the input in any case. I'll post if it works as soon as i have tested.

Christian
Old 06-26-2021, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey,

Tried the Avian again with different timings.
Also did a throttle end point calibration after each change I did just in case. Unfortunately the issue still persists...

I will try and do a complete fresh setup of the fc6250hx combined with Avian (I only connected receiver and the ESC until now). Maybe that could help?

Further ideas would be very welcome. Would be really great to get this combination running.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dump the Spektrum FC6250HX and the Avian ESC.
Change back to the HW 60A ESC and get a MSH Electronics iKON2 mini flight controller with a SPM4651T SRXL2 bi-directional telemetry receiver
The iKON2 has it own telemetry and relays all the telemetry the HW supports (I'm not too sure how extensive it is for the 60A).
The flight controller also has remote programming from the Spektrum gen2 transmitters.
MSH Electronics supported telemetry for helicopters before Spektrum.
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the answer.

I am actually flying with the HW 60A and the fc6250hx at this moment and from what I can tell its working really well and was a pleasure to set up.
Have not run into major issues this far (at least not related to the fbl:-)).

As its running well my intentions to change the FBL are low at this moment in time. Especially as Im just getting into the tuning stuff just now.

Next Heli? We'll see... As I am quite new to the hobby I might as well try something else then to see the rest of the world:-).

Anyway, idea was to give the Avian a try and I am still hoping that I will get it running somehow...
To be honest getting telemetry on the fireball is more for the sake of it and for the fun to get it done somehow (hopefully).

So any ideas or experiences would still be much appreciated.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Just as a thought, I read where a bad solder connection in the motor wire system can cause stuttering with some setups. Although the ESC worked in Aircraft mode, there may be a poor connection in one of the the ESC female connectors that could cause this. You could also try switching the wires around and trying it out. If the motor runs backwards but the stuttering is gone, then program it in the ESC to run the way you need it to. Just some things to try.

Don
Old 06-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

had the idea about bad soldering also at the beginning, so I checked (and resoldered just in case) already with no effect.
Might as well give it another try on the weekend. But I dont expect too much going that way.

Regarding the phases I tried all combinations today. No effdect.

Also tried connecting the Avian as a "normal" ESC at port 1 of the fc6250hx. Again no effect...

Am somewhat lost.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

It may well be a defective ESC. It wouldn't be the first time that an internal defect caused a piece of electronic equipment to fail. It's almost like trying to run a sensored motor on a sensorless ESC. The motor will stutter like crazy and may or may not turn at all. Essentially, all our regular motors we use in helicopters are sensorless and I have not heard of one that uses the sensor wire commonly found on cars and trucks. It's worth some time on hold with Horizon as it is not a fault of the motor. Take care.

Don
Old 07-01-2021, 05:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks.

I will open up a ticket at Horizon and ask for ideas from their end.
Maybe they are able to adress that issue, maybe not. As you said may take some time I guess. We'll see.

If the ESC really is defect I will stay without telemetry and the HW ESC for this summer. As I worked on the wires and resoldered the connections an exchange is not very likely.

And who knows what options there are on the fc6250hx concerning connectivity in future.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

They are working on a governor and have working examples in the hands of testers. No word yet but it will eventually appear but there is a lot more than can be done with that gyro that has not been tapped into. I do wish there was a feature release timeline which would be very helpful. Logging is one that comes to mind. Take care.

Don

Don
Old 07-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, Gov would be quite interesting at least considering my issue with the Avian...

A road map for the features of the fc6250hx would be great.
Something helpful to me as a newbie would have been a simple vibration analysis.

All in all I like the FBL so far.
Downside to me is the slight lack of documentation at the moment.
The subforum here is really helpful though. But would be great still to have a compendium of all the adjustments/features that are possible and have them explained.

Hope that they will do an update to the documentation in due time.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

There is a specific forum for the 6250 that Brian has posted a number of tips for setup of the gyro. So far, I have used the tips to get some very nice flying performances out of my scale and F3C helicopters. It is listed further down under the Spektrum FBL System heading. Take care.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in