Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Car and Truck Info and Support > Gas & Glow

Gas & Glow Gas and Glow R/C Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Traxxas rx going bad

I have an older tmaxx 2.5R with the 27mhz radio and the ch2(throttle/brake) is beginning to glitch real bad. I have a radiolink at9s on the way for my 450 build and was wondering about getting another rx for the radiolink and swap it into the tmaxx. Would there be any issues with doing that? Is there a better option?
Smokeshow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey man,

I have the same truck and same radio and receiver, and use it regularly for the past probably 10 years, still.

I have found my radio glitches and the servos jitter when I do things like connect the glow ignitor and some other things. But only doing specific things like that causes glitches. I would check your receiver antenna for kinks, cuts, and that it is still securely electronically attached to the receiver circuit board. Same for the radio and its antenna, check that it is fully screwed in.

Is it just the throttle? 100%? If it is, then maybe the pot in the radio for the trigger is going bad, in which case I would look for a new radio.

If youre cheap, the old Hobbyking GT2 2.4ghz radio was great to me for a long time, IDK if its still the gold standard of $20 radio sets though. If youre looking for a good replacement that would suit you probably for life, I would never ever say this to anyone else lol, but a Spektrum might be good. I hate their air radios, and I hate using them, and I dont trust them, but that said, they do make quite a solid car radio. Or, if you want premium feel and response and 100% reliability, Futaba radios are the best. (not just trying to push my sponsor lol)

Also, if its just the throttle, it could just be a bad throttle servo? Cheaper to try just another servo first, then start checking to see if its the radio, antennas, or other connections. Just know that certain things can cause 27mhz interference from nitro, I've seen multiple things do it to mine, but it still operates just fine.

Hope this helps!
-Mike
SparkyMJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I swapped ch2 and ch3 and the twitch followed to the transmission reverse lever so it's the rx that's the issue. I can get a reciever for my radiolink for about $20 and install it into the truck if needed. It's not used in any competitions of any sort of racing. Just bashing around my back yard. And I would be able to set a lower throttle curve and let my kids play around with it safely.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right on, sounds like a receiver/transmitter issue and not an issue with the truck.

Glad to hear you still run one of these, theyre a lot of fun. I run the OS 18CVR in mine, it pulls real hard, and I did a DIY double steering servo mod. Very powerful.

Fun little machine, I usually bring it out to the heli field on the weekends and some of the guys get a kick out of the nice smell haha. Any pics of yours?

Hope you get it running soon again.
-Mike
SparkyMJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea. Their alot of fun still. But the only rc hobby store in town is slowly reducing all of their nitro stuff. The owner keeps trying to get me to go eletric so parts are getting harder to get.
I like the 2.5. It has a ton of power for what I do with it. But when this motor goes i think i might throw in the 3.3
Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ended up ordering a flysky gt3b tx &rx. And a Habao servo to replace the steering servo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in