Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Telemetry Main power Pack for electrics over 150 AMP?

is there any module out there that can be used on high power flight packs for example amps used on a 12 S 5000 mah system? all spectrum makes is a 150 amp unit.

thank you
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most people get this data directly from the ESC/FBL unit, and not from a direct measurement from the battery itself. The ESC telemetry data only needs a thin servo lead since its not directly passing the battery current through.

What FBL unit and ESC are you using? Ikon, Spirit, Vbar and a few other popular options already support telemetry. Spektrum does this as well now the same way through the ESC, however they have created a closed ecosystem in order to do it with their FBL units requiring the use of all of the Spektrum "Smart" devices from the battery packs to the ESC/FBL unit.

The inline device requiring a high current rating is an old school leftover method as others were light years ahead of Spek when it comes to telemetry, and that was the only hack they could do at the time before finally now developing a better and cleaner way to the get the info that everyone else was already doing years ago
Old 06-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am running spectrum with a YGE 160 amp esc and a vbar silver line.

so not sure where to get the telemetry signal for current used?
Old 06-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The YGE is capable if I recall correctly with the right FBL unit combo. Im not a Vbar guy but the older units may not be able to provide the data for you, so check in the Vbar forum for your options. There has to be a two way communication in order for data to be sent back to the Spek TX, so for example the Brain, Spirit and other FBL units that support ESC telemetry must use a Spek RX connected to the FBL unit that can both send and receive data

The other handicap you have is you are using a Spek TX and not the Vcontrol, which like the Spektrum ecosystem has all of the needed telemetry data anyone ever wanted packaged up nicely plug and play between the TX and the FBL unit with no fuss or additional hardware.

Last edited by Xrayted; 07-01-2021 at 07:57 AM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Ok, so the real question should be, do you have any telemetry right now? Using Spektrum and Silverline tells me that you are not using any of the new systems from Spektrum but may have the older TM1000 telemetry module. Is that the case? Second question should be is your ESC one of the VT or HVT models?

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i will install a TM1000 but not sure if the YGE 160 will support it. this is the esc that came with my XXTREME 700 Mikado version-so i dont know if it outputs current used.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

From what I can determine, the YGE 160 has no capability of output for telemetry data. If you are not into full blown 3D hardcore flight, then the sensor may work for you with the ends changed to match your batteries and ESC. I have read that but have not done it. I do have one of those sensors unused but have not thought about using it for the moment. I do have a low powered 6s system where I could easily convert the connectors and then get the current to the TM1000 that is on it.

There is a company SM Modellbau, German based, that makes a complete line of telemetry sensors and adaptors. They will plug into the TM1000 and give you whatever you need. They have a single line current sensor that can give you 200A readouts if needed and even one with an XT90 connector. I have browsed through their website and have seen the various sensors that they have which would cover any situation. Once the Spektrum adaptor is plugged into the TM1000, you can daisy chain as many sensors as you want. It is not as clean as say a Castle ESC hooked up to the TM1000 which would then give you what you generally use but it is better than going out and buying a new ESC. If you already have the TM1000, then you are close to what you want to get out of it. Hope this helps.

Don

Link: https://www.sm-modellbau.de/
Old 07-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

thank you this looks like the ticket-they have one rated at 280 amp. my flying style is very sport like -no stick banging for me-- i do wounder what happens if you go over the 280 amps?? hopefully it doesn't open up the circuit..
Old 07-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

If you are in that situation, your ESC has already burned out and it will be the least of your worries, lol. Take care.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in