Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli Setup with out F Mode - Dx9

I want to separate the throttle and pitch curves from a heli setup. Reason being that I like to switch to a fixed throttle (say Idle up 1) but dont necessarily want the aggressive pitch curve associated with it. I could change the pitch curve but would prefer to have pitch on a separate switch. That would give me 3 various pitch curves for each of the 3 throttle curves. I have a Jumper T8sg that I use for a few little helis that is setup this way and its become very easy to use.
Any thoughts/directions appreciated.
Maturecruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm... I don't see a way to separate the Throttle Curve and Pitch Curve functions from the F Mode switch on a heli model. You wouldn't get Pitch on an Acro model, so you couldn't even change the model type and develop some kind of workaround.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I tried to come up with something that might work but even with mixes, I am not sure if I could do it. Give me some time and I might work it out as I am fairly good with mixing channels and back mixing to get what I want. I guess OpenTX does not tie them together, which may make for a sharp learning curve for the rest of the transmitter users out there.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks as always this forum comes to the fore. Thanks Keyrigger and flightengr. There is another thread on here about having 5 flight modes. I might try that or just tone down the pitch on the idle up 1 & 2 until I get a bit more proficient.
Because I like to fiddle, I have 1 of my old 130x on the Jumper but no gyro setup or bail out. I sure I can work gyro on/off Ok, not sure about the 3 settings though, probably get there.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Increasing the number of flight modes is probably the way to go if 5 is sufficient.

Mixing certainly has possibility, but it would depend on how different you want the curves to be.

The DX9 has a mix input of "ON" which is essentially +100% all the time. So if you did a mix of ON>THR or ON>PIT and then used Rate to choose how much input to add (or subtract with negative numbers), you could alter the currently-active curve.

A "curve" mix would be more flexible than a "normal" mix, but there is a drawback in that the different set points on the curve mix can't be too close to each other. That's going to make it difficult to make small adjustments.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks flightengr. I'm not great with mixes. I will just alter the flight modes. Its set out here for me to follow which is how I like it.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I regularly have more than three flight modes but I haven't found a need for more than four at the present time. I go into the Flight Mode setup (I no longer have a DX18 but have the iX12 and 20) where I use switch A for the fourth flight mode. The use is not set in stone but I have this as an example.

Normal - Called Spool Up - Zero throttle to 60% of max head speed to get things started.

Mode 1 - Called Hover - Used mostly for F3C and Scale where I don't want a lot of speed nor cyclic movement so that flying is very smooth yet deliberate.

Mode 2 - Called Regular Flight - Up to 90% of full head speed used for general flying.

Mode 3 - Called High Speed or High Wind - This is switched by "A" and just as it sounds, is full head speed (or where it makes the most sense) and cyclic movements are reduced somewhat as the rotor speed will increase how responsive the helicopter is.

Hold is always there and technically is a flight mode but is based normally on my Regular Flight curve, not High Speed or Wind.

Personally, I don't see a need for me to have the setup that you are trying to achieve but it might be still possible. I have a basic helicopter setup that I am going to work on to see, with the combination of two 3 position switches for Flight Modes, if I can get the result you are looking for. This is kind of a challenge to work out. We'll see.

Don
Old 06-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I think I might have it. I set a Mix so that it was Aux1>PIT. I used switch "C" to apply the mix. Position 0 on "C" was left untouched. For position 1, as a trial, I moved the sliders an equal amount (best for testing) so that they were at -17.5%. For position 2 on "C", I moved them both to -29%. So now, what that did was to modify the pitch curve that it was set to so that it would travel only a set amount less than the full pitch travel that you have set on Flight Mode Normal. You can overdrive the pitch if you are not careful but if you keep your travel end points to no more than 100 and -100, you should be fine. I have a Gen2 DX6 that I tried it on with the only change being that I had to go to switch "D" as switch "C" was only two position. It applies the correction to the total movement of the Pitch amount for any given Flight Mode. Now, the difference that I ran into with the Gen2 DX6 was that I had to create two individual mixes as the radio is not as configurable as the iX20. Not a big deal. I am pretty sure this is what you are after.

Don
Old 06-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again Keyrigger. I will digest your message and see how I go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in