Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default iX12?

I see that the iX12 is coming back in stock at some of the online stores... I am considering buying one but after doing some research, I see there has been some issues with the software. Does anyone know if this has been fixed? Should I be worried?
Maxxs700 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I have a current firmware in my iX12 and it is running great. The current app version is 1.15.03 and the latest firmware is 2.00.88. It is stable and no issues with any of the helicopters I have flown with it. I am now using a new iX20 but there was a long story behind why I bought it and not because of any failure of the iX12. Yes, I have had a couple of issues with some firmware updates in the past that were not the greatest but those shortcomings were soon dealt with. Take care.

Don

PS. The "Long" startup is more of a wives' tale. Start the transmitter when you get to the field and by the time you take your canopy off, get a battery loaded in, your transmitter will be ready. Far too much has been made of this by those that are completely out of touch with reality.
Nytro97 likes this.
Keyrigger is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Seems like you are confirming the "wives tale".
Weule is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

There were a few that were so fixated on the startup time that they would come onto a thread about the 12 and endlessly complain that they lost flight time at the field because of it. The startup time is just over two minutes and in comparison, the 20 is just under a minute. There are other radios that take time to boot up so it is not limited to the iX line of radios. I think my friend timed his Futaba T18MZ at 25 seconds. They may take less or they may take more but in the long run, it is just an excuse to complain about something.

Don

PS: A not so well known fact. The iX12 is ready to control the last model loaded into memory before shutdown in less time than the DX18. I timed it at 6 seconds to the time the RF indicator light is on. In comparison, the iX20 takes 17 seconds before the RF indicator is on. I think my DX18 was in the range of 9 to 11 seconds before it was RF capable.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think most of us expect a near immediate boot cycle.

My DS14 takes about 5 seconds.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Good for you and your transmitter.

Don
Old 07-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh, thanks for the kind words.

Right back at you - glad you are happy with your two minute boot cycle. Lol
tamupino likes this.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The iX12 was the worst transmitter I ever bought.
Maybe it boots up / maybe it doesn't.
Maybe it wakes up from sleep mode / maybe it doesn't.
Maybe it upgrades / maybe it doesn't.
Maybe if it doesn't wake up from sleep mode / boots up / completes an upgrade I have to reset to factory defaults / maybe I don't.
Maybe there are 6 or 12 Android apps that need to be disabled that might help / maybe there aren't.
I've had the transmitter tell me that the AirWare app died and I need to restart the transmitter. Then it restarts and tells me the AirWare app died and I need to restart it. Then... it starts okay. What happened?

There are been at least 2 times where the transmitter wouldn't wake up from sleep mode at the field - that was the end of the day.
I've had upgrades to the AirWare / Android software that literally took 2 days to complete. In one case, I ended up not flying the next day because it wasn't finished.

I think those that make apologies for the lack of quality / poor design of the iX12 may be new to RC as a hobby and don't fully appreciate where we came from.
Either we unknowingly became the beta testers for a new Spektrum product or they knew it was a POS and released it anyway. Either way... I'm ticedoff

Personally I think the DX9 was the best radio I ever had.
I still use Spektrum exclusively.
But, as soon as the start to aggressively exclude the 3rd party manufacturers (like Castle, HW, MSH Electronics, Spirit - etc), I'll dump everything I own the says "Spektrum".
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2021, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

What did you expect? This thread is not about your Jeti radio and a comparison with the above mentioned Spektrum transmitter and nowhere was it asked for. Is it that hard to just read and move on without dropping bombs?
Old 07-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
The iX12 was the worst transmitter I ever bought.
Maybe it boots up / maybe it doesn't.
Maybe it wakes up from sleep mode / maybe it doesn't.
Maybe it upgrades / maybe it doesn't.
Maybe there are 6 or 12 Android apps that need to be disabled that might help / maybe there aren't.
I've had the transmitter tell me that the AirWare app died and I need to restart the transmitter. Then it restarts and tells me the AirWare app died and I need to restart it. Then... it starts okay. What happened?

There are been at least 2 times where the transmitter wouldn't wake up from sleep mode at the field - that was the end of the day.

I've had upgrades to the AirWare / Android software that literally took 2 days to complete.

I think those that make apologies for the lack of quality / poor design of the iX12 may be new to RC as a hobby and don't fully appreciate where we came from.

Personally I think the DX9 was the best radio I ever had.
I still use Spektrum exclusively.
But, as soon as the start to aggressively exclude the 3rd party manufacturers (like Castle, HW, MSH Electronics, Spirit - etc), I'll dump everything I own the says "Spektrum".
He’s not alone. Maybe -all- the bugs are ‘fixed’, but I lost confidence in my iX12 & the SPM4651Ts I was using with it when my Heli’s were falling from the sky all the while I was experiencing the same issues described above. It was a double whammy, transmitter issues along with a RX firmware bug that wasn’t fully discovered and fixed for over a year.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

ticedoff, maybe you got a bad one or maybe you just didn't know how to sort it out. Your story is not indicative of every iX12 out there but you make it seem like it is.

Don
Old 07-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
ticedoff, maybe you got a bad one or maybe you just didn't know how to sort it out. Your story is not indicative of every iX12 out there but you make it seem like it is.
I'll add that to the list:
Maybe I got a bad one / maybe I'm just stupid.
That's kind of the attitude that many tech support groups use when their product is a POS. Its called "Blame the User" and it allows them to close tech support cases without having to actually solve the problem
It's also the attitude of evangelical users who may not be able to see through the hype.
Quote:
Your story is not indicative of every iX12
Of course not. By definition, the word "every" means... well "every". As in "100%".
But I would say that my "story" is inductive of way too many.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
What did you expect? This thread is not about your Jeti radio and a comparison with the above mentioned Spektrum transmitter and nowhere was it asked for. Is it that hard to just read and move on without dropping bombs?
Dropping bombs??? If Jeti boot up time offends you, my DX6 boots up in 6 seconds.

Clearly, you are the one not in touch with reality.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Sorry to say, the issues were solved but you weren't there to benefit from it because you just gave up. And your added comment is your view, not mine.

Don
Old 07-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think, in this reply, you summed it up nicely.
As a prospective buyer of an expensive product, Maxxs700 needs to know that maybe he will get a bad one and maybe he just won't know how to sort out it out if there are problems.
If I was in the market for a tech product and an evangelical user told me that, I'd be looking elsewhere.
Good luck Mr. Maxxs700.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
Quote:
I think, in this reply, you summed it up nicely.
As a prospective buyer of an expensive product, Maxxs700 needs to know that maybe he will get a bad one and maybe he just won't know how to sort out it out if there are problems.
If I was in the market for a tech product and an evangelical user told me that, I'd be looking elsewhere.
Good luck Mr. Maxxs700.
Of all people here, I’m sure that you could figure it out!

What Don might be forgetting to tell the OP, is how many times he’s had to send his radios in for service.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't own a Spektrum radio at the moment. I've never owned an iX12 radio. From what I've read, other than typical annoyances, one of the main concerns cited is about potential "built-in obsolescence" from matching already relatively old and slow hardware with ever upgrading Android firmware interface.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I donít get people that have issues with the IX12, iíve owned two or them over the last 2 years and never had a single issue. Boot up time is slow but i boot it the second i get to the field and thatís it.

For me itís been a wonderful radio. I switched to it from vcontrol.
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

There is little that can be done to future-proof any electronic device. Eventually, everything made as of today's date will become obsolete and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it. The upgrading that is done to the radios today, is based on what was installed in the radio at the factory and unless there is an upgrade service at the manufacturer where you can send it in for an updated Android system, there is little chance of getting either radio upgraded to the "Latest and Greatest". I find it amusing that so many demand that their radio be so future-proofed and yet the cell phones they use are tossed every couple of years without complaint so as not to be "left behind by the Jones's". Eventually, the V-Control, Futaba, Jeti, Spektrum, and OpenTX radios will become completely obsolete and the owners will either change to the latest from their current radio of choice or move on to another system. No one expected the DX9 to be replaced anytime soon but it is being replaced by a bigger, better version that has one more channel and what looks to be a fairly long service life by today's standards. The DX9 has had a fairly long life and I expect both the iX12 and iX20 will also be around for quite a while. To me, backwards compatibility is far more important than what is going to be added in the next generation of radios.

Don
Old 08-01-2021, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vertico, May I ask why you switched from v control?
Maxxs700 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in