Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spirit FBL system

Spirit FBL system Spirit FBL System Discussion

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnika View Post
What do you mean by perfectly fine? Do you see a steady number, perfectly solid locked in place? What I measured by the scope perfectly explains its behavior and speak for itself. I am getting jittery signal out of HW. So is it the unit I have s*it?
Yes, it works as it should with a steady RPM on the TX as well as my log files of the telemetry. There are many running HW/Spirit combo just fine for years. Your issue is not normal and unique to your model or equipment it would seem as there no other threads or complaints from others regarding the issue you describe that I recall seeing, and I would think this would be a constant question if it was happening to everyone.

Below is a snippet I just took from one of my models logs. The yellow is the RPM and you can see its working just fine. It will never be a perfectly straight line as the RPM is constantly changing in small amounts when the head is under load. The best governor on the planet is going to have +/- 30 RPM rapid changes when under constant changing flight loads, and that is a fantastic setup.

Despite this, the head speed shown on my TX is stable and easily readable. Its never going to go to one single value and hold without changing if that is your expectation which I doubt as it appears you have experience, but you should still easily be able to see what your RPM is. Wild fluctuations to where you have no idea where the RPM really is at all is not normal though if that is what you are experiencing, and it appears by your post that this is the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	925981  

Last edited by Xrayted; 07-26-2021 at 05:27 PM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

The yellow line is not flat, I see variations. Looks like it's a standard. I have the same results then..... asking for too much.
arnika is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The yellow line is not flat, I see variations. Looks like it's a standard. I have the same results then..... asking for too much.
That's not how RPM telemetry on any ESC works and never has. It will never be perfectly flat on any model. No ESC or FBL governor can hold the exact same single RPM value in flight with constant load changes and never bog a single bit or overshoot on correction, hence the constant up/down on the trace. Its the average that counts

The governor has to try and react to the constant changes of pitch/collective loads in real time and will always lag a bit behind as it cant see the future. Proper gearing/mechanical torque for the RPM you are using as well as battery health and proper governor tuning has a huge effect on these RPM dips under load, so the goal is to get things tuned where the changes in RPM are the lowest they can be, and as stated +/- 30 RPM under hard loads (pitch pumps) is considered fantastic. A not so great setup may dip 100 RPM under these situations, and will also fluctuate more under normal loads

Anyone that can achieve a perfectly flat RPM value in flight with no dips/overshoots has invented the best governor PID logic ever created using alien technology not available yet on Earth
dogbreath, Rabid121 and jrman83 like this.

Last edited by Xrayted; 07-26-2021 at 06:02 PM..
Old 08-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking for alien tech? Here you go. This one was perfectly stable, no variation whatsoever. I will mount it back to use it again since the RPM readout through the FBL is crap. But I blame it on HW sig. out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210802_154719.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	926903  
Old 08-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Looking for alien tech? Here you go. This one was perfectly stable, no variation whatsoever. I will mount it back to use it again since the RPM readout through the FBL is crap. But I blame it on HW sig. out.
Thats an RPM sensor, not a governor. And it's just using serious smoothing/averaging to make it look perfectly flat if true, but that is not reality of the actual RPM at the model. I can also change the scaling of my RPM telemetry logs and make the RPM line appear perfectly flat, but that doesnt make it true

I'll say it one more time and then I'm out of this discussion because its pointless. There is NO such thing as ANY governor, ESC or FBL that can maintain a perfectly flat line RPM value at all times that never changes under load. No governor is that good, and even it were, there are a host of other things in the chain from the battery onward that cannot support such a result.

You could also do the same with a BEC and smooth the voltage to the point that it never moves from its set value no matter how much current is being pulled by the electronics, living blissfully in an imaginary world thinking you have the most robust BEC ever created because it never appears to dip.

IMO information is pointless if it's not accurate as to what is actually happening. I'm sure that smoothing your RPM reading is fine as its not a critical thing assuming its at least in the ballpark of reality, but there is nothing wrong with your HW ESC RPM lead either.

Last edited by Xrayted; 08-03-2021 at 02:56 PM..
Old 08-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Xrayted;8346299]Thats an RPM sensor, not a governor. And it's just using serious smoothing/averaging to make it look perfectly flat if true, but that is not reality of the actual RPM at the model. I can also change the scaling of my RPM telemetry logs and make the RPM line appear perfectly flat, but that doesnt make it true
Quote:
I'll say it one more time and then I'm out of this discussion because its pointless. There is NO such thing as ANY governor, ESC or FBL that can maintain a perfectly flat line RPM value at all times that never changes under load. No governor is that good, and even it were, there are a host of other things in the chain from the battery onward that cannot support such a result.
Yes. It is pointless because you didn't read properly what I was trying to say. Still typing some convincing-like messages for no reason.

And yes, one more time. The RPM sensor with the reading on the OpenTX radio is accurate. I checked the actual RPM with my scope and both numbers were the same. My scope BW is 300MHz, is it accurate enough for you? I don't care about governor at all and I didn't type anything about governor previously either. You mixing apples and bananas. I have background in electronic and I am familiar with averaging as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in