Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gasser tail servo

Hi all,

So, i'm looking at getting an old bergen twin EB going again. I would like to replace the servos with something a little more modern. with the main requirements being HV and reliability. last time she flew I had a hard landing and a boom strike. This stripped the plastic gears in most of the servos. they have since been repaired. Currently fitted are JR NES 4131 for cyclic DS811 for throttle and a futaba S9524 for the tail. these are all very weak when compared to modern options. But seem to be more that sufficient in speed and power even given the rather large size heli. She is an all American bird so i was thinking about some American promodeler servos. primarly the DS505BLHV it has about 5 times the torque and double the speed of what is fitted! i'm not super taken with the promodeler tail servo, it is an open case mini. it needs to be fitted to an adapter to fit a standard size servo hole. so i was wondering if one of the standard non tail servos would do? a little slower than what is fitted currently 0.1 vs 0.06 seconds. is that really going to be a problem? not to forget that this is no 3D machine! in-fact it is not even capable of inverted flight. twisted and tapered blades make that difficult if not impossable.
floating around is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

just digging around on the promodeler site a little more. funny that the cheapest standard size servo they have has equivalent specifications to what were mid/high priced JR that i initially had fitted. with the added benefit of a metal centre section, HV and full metal gearing! quite tempted by these or the next one up as they are a third of the price of the brushless and still better than what is fitted currently. any opinions on that?
Old 08-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

They used to have a standard size tail servo with more torque than that but it's disappeared from their site. They may be getting ready to introduce a successor though. You could send email to John Beech here and ask about that. 95oz-in is a bit low for a tail servo on a large heli, the standard size tail servo they sold was 120oz-in
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A futaba 9254 servo is/was only 47 oz. that came with a 401 gyro and they worked
fine on all size helis 3d or otherwise

95 oz. inches is not low for a tail servo
Old 08-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee rider View Post
A futaba 9254 servo is/was only 47 oz. that came with a 401 gyro and they worked
fine on all size helis 3d or otherwise

95 oz. inches is not low for a tail servo
that is kinda my point, specs are getting a bit over the top. the very weak but medium speed tail servo was stable for this application. in fact it was OK for 3D as well. so do i really need a super speed/power tail servo for this heli?
Old 08-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating around View Post
so do i really need a super speed/power tail servo for this heli?
Not in my opinion. I use "middle of the road servos either futaba or hitec
something in the 70 oz. is what I usually use for the tail
a fast servo does control the tail better but it doesnt need to be super fast
Old 08-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I disagree with that I saw huge difference in hard piro stops from a full speed piro when changing from a 10kg-cm MS1035 to a 17kg-cm BMS-17A. The BMS-17A is actually slightly slower than the MS1035, 0.034 sec/60 vs 0.03sec / 60. With the 1035 the tail noticeably decelerated while stopping while with the 17A it just slams to a stop instantly like a sim heli.
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2021, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

A slower servo might be an advantage on an older, non-3D machine. It will just be easier on the mechanics.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Quote:

I disagree with that I saw huge difference in hard piro stops from a full speed piro when changing from a 10kg-cm MS1035 to a 17kg-cm BMS-17A. The BMS-17A is actually slightly slower than the MS1035, 0.034 sec/60 vs 0.03sec / 60. With the 1035 the tail noticeably decelerated while stopping while with the 17A it just slams to a stop instantly like a sim heli.
Piro stops, well not sure if that is applicable for this application. This is a 10 kg heli designed to carry another 10+ Kg.
Tail blades are about 120 mm. The most aggressive aerobatics I expect it to see would be similar to what a full size would do. I guess the main question would be how slow is to slow? More or less all standard size servos will have significantly more torque that what is fitted now. But may be a good bit slower.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Futaba BLS276SV (or 274SV if you don't have a gyro that can handle 720uS)

Between me and my buddy we have a half a dozen 276s and the predecessor 256s on gassers - some with over 1000 flights. Its bulletproof.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
In the first post it clearly states not a 3D capable machine !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in