Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR Control

Mikado V-BAR Control Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Control Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By tonys-heli
  • 3 Post By Vinger
  • 2 Post By Thickfog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need Help with Motor Start on Vcontrol Touch

Hello,

I'm in the process of switching from the Futaba 18SZH Transmitter to the Vcontrol Touch. When I move the motor switch on the Vcontrol Touch from Idle to Run, the motor starts automatically, before I ever move my throttle stick from the -100% position. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I'm used to the motor not starting until I begin adding power with the throttle stick after I've released the Throttle Hold. Is there a way to make it so that the motor doesn't start until I begin adding power with the throttle stick?

The Heli is a Trex 550X with an Align RCE-BL100A ESC, and a VLink Vbar. I did try reprogramming the ESC, but that didn't work.

Regards,

Jaime
Jaime351 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

it is normal.. vcontrol has no throttle curves per se.. and is in control of the throttle. its just flat line throttle. so when you sw to RUN, its gonna spool up, so you better be at half stick and ready to hover.

there is no more normal throttle curves and nobody should be flying with a linear 0-100 curve anyway
the left stick is collective and rudder only.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

also - for extra protection - you can setup the "safe" switch. That way you have to flip two switches before the motor will spool. That accomplishes the same goal as the "normal" mode throttle curve used to without the risk of forgetting you are in "normal" mode and flipping inverted
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
also - for extra protection - you can setup the "safe" switch. That way you have to flip two switches before the motor will spool. That accomplishes the same goal as the "normal" mode throttle curve used to without the risk of forgetting you are in "normal" mode and flipping inverted
+1 set this up for sure
Tek18x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
it is normal.. vcontrol has no throttle curves per se.. and is in control of the throttle. its just flat line throttle. so when you sw to RUN, its gonna spool up, so you better be at half stick and ready to hover.

there is no more normal throttle curves and nobody should be flying with a linear 0-100 curve anyway
Thanks for the reply. There's always a way though. It has something to do with ESC. I'll figure it out. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
Thanks. I did setup up a "safety switch. Direct stick control is my preference though. It has something to do with ESC. I'll either figure it out, or sell my brand new Vcontrol Touch. LOL.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime351 View Post
Thanks for the reply. There's always a way though. It has something to do with ESC. I'll figure it out. Thanks again.
what are you trying to do?

its easier to learn how mikado vcontrol works rather than fight it.. once you learn it, its pretty slick.
if your trying to get a linear 0-100 throttle curve, this is the wrong radio system to be using.
cudaboy_71 and Thickfog like this.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post

And this is why people that fly Glow or gas helicopters dont fly VControl.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i get that, but he has a 550x electric.

there are macrocells in the vcontrol, but ive never used them.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
For nitro or gas governor there are a start "throttle curve" All the top pilots using Mikado do fly nitro and there is no problem in using the Mikado system on ANY helicopter, even turbines.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime351 View Post
Thanks. I did setup up a "safety switch. Direct stick control is my preference though. It has something to do with ESC. I'll either figure it out, or sell my brand new Vcontrol Touch. LOL.
Why do you prefer such? That hasn't been necessary since electric with FBL (since way before I got into the hobby). I will say that I had it on my blade models only because blade set them up that way in the download files. Don't know why. Didn't make any sense on the spektrum radio either so I got rid of it (after some people convinced me).

The soft spool up from the governor does it way better than you could with the stick. You ought to see my Specter spool up. It is a thing of beauty... No normal mode... no accidental inverted trip into the ground from being in normal still.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just have gas helis and I still run a standard throttle curve on my V Control the same as the standard radios. I understand everything just fine, but like curves even with the gov for backup. I have to believe electric can be run similarly.
dschertz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Plenty do including me. And bank 1 is throttle by stick control.
I fly electric helicopter, nitro helicopter and even a plane on v control and vbar
cudaboy_71 and tonys-heli like this.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
Plenty do including me. And bank 1 is throttle by stick control.
I fly electric helicopter, nitro helicopter and even a plane on v control and vbar

How do you do trims on the Vcontrol? Even on the best of days a gas/nitro engine needs a idle adjustment now and them.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
How do you do trims on the Vcontrol? Even on the best of days a gas/nitro engine needs a idle adjustment now and them.
Old school radios do that, on the VBC/VBCt you can assign a pot or wheel to idle in the nitro governor, but hardly required. IDLE can be set per bank or as a global value in the gov setup and works really well.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
With the global setting you set your idle then use your stick to control it from there.
I never need to adjust my idle position after that.
You can set idle to one of the pots if you want. Not sure why one would bother.

I even have my switchglo set to a switch on the vcontrol. And I have macrocells that prevent a hot start.
You can do tons with macrocells on vbar/vcontrol.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use VBCT, I did have normal mode on bank one for nitro, but I actually fly 3 head speeds now on my nitro.
I have my global idle at 15% and it idles great. I have throttle hold/bailout throttle at 20%.
The spool up rate is at 3 for the banks from “motor off”, which is not throttle cut. That’s on a separate switch for me, which is also the safety switch.
Anyway after the start the motor and let it idle for 30-45seconds or however long it takes me to get the canopy on and walk to a safe distance, I just take it out of throttle hold and it spools up nice and smooth, probably even slower than if it used direct throttle on bank 1. This is because I only have bank 1 head speed set at 1500 (this is on a glogo 690). Sometimes it’s fun to put around and that speed and practice smooth inverted circuits. On cooler days I can lower my idle to 13-14% and it idles smooth and low.
Sherer46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I still fly the original VBC. The solution isn't perfect, but I programmed a macrocell to one of the knobs for trim. It also prevents accidental hotstart because the knob only controls from 0-~8% when the heli is in T/H regardless of which flight bank the radio is in. I had more than one hotstart going between electrics and nitros and accidentally leaving my radio in bank 2 rather than bank 1, which was required for starting a nitro. Now, I start in T/H (motor off) and adjust idle with the knob. Flipping in to 'motor run' from idle spools up slowly to the programed RPM.

The VBCt supposedly has this functionality preset to the trim wheels. But, I haven't played with a VBCt yet.

Tags
motor, starting, vcontrol touch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in