Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2021, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blue Bird servos?

So this looks pretty good compared to the KST rudder servos.

https://flightcomp.com/collections/s...nal-protection

People on flying Giants seem to like them

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=68332

Anyone around here have experiences to share? I like the idea of a servo with over and under voltage protection and stall protection and the specs are very good too. I've used their micro servos in a couple small helis (the BMS-207 turned out to be a great 450 size servo) and the internal build quality was good (solder joints on internal; leads glued down to protect from vibration) and since then I've been wanting to give their full size servos a try.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-18-2021 at 11:48 PM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2021, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's the same range of servos that BK are re-branding as their own, so I guess that says something positive?

BK use the BLS-30A internals for their cyclic servo and the narrow band BLS-18AN for their tail servo.
The top CNC case on the BK looks a bit different but actually that's standard BlueBird too, they take from the BlueBird helical gear servo range (eg BLS-H51)
Old 07-19-2021, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie View Post
It's the same range of servos that BK are re-branding as their own, so I guess that says something positive?

BK use the BLS-30A internals for their cyclic servo and the narrow band BLS-18AN for their tail servo.
The top CNC case on the BK looks a bit different but actually that's standard BlueBird too, they take from the BlueBird helical gear servo range (eg BLS-H51)
Their latest servos i believe are good. But their old products werent very reliable, concluded this from research as i was planning on ordering some they had on sale but never went ahead with it.

Spartan VX1n/e, Frsky RX, RT Blades MKS/BK, Hobbywing
Danker16 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2021, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:

So BK has switched away form Servoking and is using Blue Bird now?

Blue Bird has plastic shelled versions of the BLS30A and BLS17A (plastic top and bottom with an aluminum center) but I haven't been able to find a source to actually buy them. They are listed on their products page though.

https://www.blue-bird-model.com/products_detail/424.htm

https://www.blue-bird-model.com/products_detail/425.htm

If they follow the pricing for Blue Bird's previous servos then they should be $20-$25 less than the all aluminum versions.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-19-2021 at 05:06 AM..
Old 07-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

They're one of the servo manufacturers I'm actively keeping an eye on, I don't own any of their servos yet, but they're on my shortlist for brands I'm planning to purchase next time I need more.

As mentioned above, the fact they've taken over from ServoKing as the new OEM for BK Hobbies is a tick in the box for me. And they're stocked by hyperflight.co.uk here in the UK with some decent reviews, including comments that they're being used in DLG world championship events. The signs I've seen are that some very experienced, and very picky pilots have been flying the brand for a good few years at least on both the heli and the plane side.

I'm also a big fan of the fact that they're one of the few manufacturers of micro servos that are rated for HV operation and can run straight from a 2S lipo. They have the BMS-127WV range at 11.3g rated to 8.4V, and they even have a 4.5g HV servo with the BMS-101HV.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2021, 05:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post

I'm also a big fan of the fact that they're one of the few manufacturers of micro servos that are rated for HV operation and can run straight from a 2S lipo. They have the BMS-127WV range at 11.3g rated to 8.4V, and they even have a 4.5g HV servo with the BMS-101HV.
I like that they use a 25T spline instead of some custom micro spline like most servos of that size.

I used the BLS-127WV in my Oxy2 and they were excellent, so then when I built an X360 I found that my go-to KSTs had increased in price by quite a bit. so I used the 127WV's bigger brother the BMS-207WV which also turned out to be a great servo with better specs and lower price than the KST 215/315.

Aloft Hobbies has them here in the US for $22 and $28.

https://alofthobbies.com/blue-bird-bms-127wv.html

https://alofthobbies.com/blue-bird-b...e-voltage.html

I went ahead and ordered the BLS-17A from Flightcomp. The 3DIGI doesn't support higher than 333hz on the tail servo so there is no need to spend extra on the narrowband version if the FBL doesn't support 560hz operation anyway.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
So BK has switched away form ServoKing and is using Blue Bird now?
Yes.
BK-9001-HV = BlueBird BLS-30A
BK-9005HV = Bluebird BLS-18AN

I had to snigger a little when I saw BK's claim of 'Unique CNC Design' when in reality the CNC design is from the standard Bluebird parts bin, as used on their BLS-H51 range of servos.

But the spec looks excellent.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a chance to talk to BK for a bit at the Fall Heli Mowdown last year. Asking when his servos would be back in stock, he said the manufacturer of the motors in his servos went out of business and he was looking for a new supplier. They were servoking servos for sure. But I believe the motors, boards specs etc were different. I may be wrong though.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

So now they are called BlueK servos...lol

Ironically enough, my oldest helicopter that I fly, an original Logo 500 (converted to flybarless) has Bluebird servos. This helicopter and servos are from around 2005-2006. From a personal persepctive, 15 year old Bluebird servos, and have been reliable.
charles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravmano7 View Post
I had a chance to talk to BK for a bit at the Fall Heli Mowdown last year. Asking when his servos would be back in stock, he said the manufacturer of the motors in his servos went out of business and he was looking for a new supplier. They were servoking servos for sure. But I believe the motors, boards specs etc were different. I may be wrong though.

The boards were for sure the same as Servo King. The motors could be different though. This jives with the Blue Bird / BK servos, they are slightly faster and have slightly more torque than the Blue Bird equivalent which could be explained if they used a different motor. The difference is very slight .031 sec for the BK at 8.4v vs .035 sec for the Blue Bird and less than 1kg-cm torque difference.

The speed on the 17A / 18A is slower than an Align DS825 (.002 sec 12kg-cm, which is an amazing rudder servo in my experience). But I have a theory than a slightly slower but much stronger rudder servo might have the advantage in hard stops.

I'm not really happy with the KST MS1035 I have on my A7 (.003 sec 12kg-cm). Tuning the left /right hard stops was a pain and still isn't quite as good as my other helis that have an Align DS825 on the tail where the stops are perfect. I'll see how the Blue Bird 17A compares.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I had to snigger a little when I saw BK's claim of 'Unique CNC Design' when in reality the CNC design is from the standard Bluebird parts bin, as used on their BLS-H51 range of servos.

From what I have read this top (the one used in helical gear servos and magnetic sensor servos) has a larger top bearing, necessary due to the side load placed on the upper bearing from the helical output gear.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Anyone around here have experiences to share?
https://www.helifreak.com/8256437-post74.html
dreamteam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Received the 17A today.

It is ridiculously strong for a rudder servo, I can not budge the arm at all while it is powered. It is also very fast, full sweep happens in the blink of an eye. It seems faster than the MS1035 even though the specs say it is slightly slower.

Gear pins have brass bushings pressed into the aluminum and the pins are also thicker than on a KST servo. They are also removable not pressed in.

The bell gear is small diameter compared to most other servos I have seen.

The motor is held in my a small pair of countersink screws under the midgear can can be easily removed (in theory) by taking out those screws. In practice the pot wires are too short to allow the motor and PCB to come completely out of the shell.

The solder connections to the pot legs are covered in a blob of transparent epoxy to protect against vibration.

The pot leads are 22 AWG and soldered to through holes in the board. Clearly the pot is installed first and then the wires are soldered to the PCB.

The pot is held in by a screw that is hard but not impossible to access, you'd need a slightly angled screwdriver to do this. Then you could pull out the whole assembly.

There is no goop on the board side of the pot leads nor on the main servo lead solder joints, but I doubt they will cause problems with the through holes and relatively heavy gauge wires, I can't see them flapping around inside the case. If you wanted to apply your own you could slide the motor halfway out and apply it with a nozzle. I might do that with an IC heli.

The servo gets very warm in operation, normal tester left/right sweep only gets warm, if you really work it fast with a radio and receiver then it starts getting very hot. I will keep an eye on temp but I suspect it won't be bad in normal operation.

I have it installed and I'll do a test flight tomorrow.
msallua likes this.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So with default settings it's pretty good. The stops are pretty decent but will need some tuning to get it perfect. I think I started with the gain too low it seems this servo wants more tail gain than the KST MS1035.

Also this servo rotates backwards compared to most and will need to be inverted in the setup.

The servo does get pretty warm during normal operation but it's a rudder servo that's strong enough to be used as a cyclic on a 700 so maybe that's an unavoidable result of packing so much torque and speed into such a small package.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-25-2021 at 01:32 AM..
Old 07-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am flying a XL Power 550 with the BlueBird BMS A920 mini servos on the cyclic, they perform great.
They are not exactly low cost price wise though, a fair bit more torque and a small amount slower than the MKS H9767 that I have in my 6s Goblin 580. Cannot tell any difference flying between the servos in flight, they both work great.

Blue Bird BMS-A920 MINI Servo. This servo features the following:
Coreless design
Full Aluminum Case
All Metal Gears
High Voltage
Futaba Spline
Specs
@7.4V - Torque: 13.7kg-cm/190.3oz-in Speed: 0.09 sec / 60degrees
Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I remember blue bird servos back 20 years ago. They where cheap junk. Would not trust them then, see no reason to trust them now. That's me but spend YOUR money how you see fit.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
I remember blue bird servos back 20 years ago. They where cheap junk. Would not trust them then, see no reason to trust them now. That's me but spend YOUR money how you see fit.

If they are junk then BK servos are also junk, and I don't think Bert would sell junk servos.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
And of course companies, technology, products and engineering knowledge don't change at all in 20 years...

The reports from the last several years all look excellent, and the specs are good too. Next paycheck I'm picking up four BlueBird servos for a plane to start trying them out myself.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2021, 06:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If they are junk then BK servos are also junk, and I don't think Bert would sell junk servos.
All about power of a brand name.

Blue Bird = crap
BK = great

Even though the physical product is identical.... Go figure
Old 07-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
And of course companies, technology, products and engineering knowledge don't change at all in 20 years...

The reports from the last several years all look excellent, and the specs are good too. Next paycheck I'm picking up four BlueBird servos for a plane to start trying them out myself.

Back then Blue Bird was targeting the same market as Corona and GWS, of course they were cheap they were $5 servos. They were some of the better servos in that market segment though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in