Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2021, 11:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's irresponsible of heli manufacturers to recommend zero throttle in the curves. I stopped doing that almost immediately when I was new.
I've seen so many people crash in "normal" mode.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2021, 11:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flat curve yes. But 70 as the starting point for learning/beginner seems a bit high. Make certain you have throttle hold set ie you should have a switch that overrides the throttle to cut the motor. That way you can kill it before it hits something or the ground if needed.

On the M2 I would maybe start at a flat 50% for throttle. Assuming you aren't using OpenTx. It should be much softer on collective with a lower rpm for learning.

Good luck.
Smoggie likes this.
Gentcpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am curious about the OpenTx remark. I am using OpenTx and and finding it very difficult to get a smooth collective response. I have assumed its the learning curve. I have a flat throttle curve for Normal, Idle Up 1 and Idle Up 2 (60%, 80%, 100%). I fly with Normal but the collective is very jumpy.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishig View Post
I am curious about the OpenTx remark. I am using OpenTx and and finding it very difficult to get a smooth collective response. I have assumed its the learning curve. I have a flat throttle curve for Normal, Idle Up 1 and Idle Up 2 (60%, 80%, 100%). I fly with Normal but the collective is very jumpy.
Run a pitch curve with -80,0,80, or an expo curve. You can program in expo or run a pitch curve -100,-20,0,20,100. You can smooth the curve and adjust the -20,20 values to feel right for you.
RustyChain is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post

Sucks you trashed your model so quickly. This is typically one of those situations where I would buy another fresh model and use the damaged one for whatever spares are left. It can sometimes be a real challenge to get a small model to ever fly correctly again if damaged bad enough as you constantly find little things wrong that you missed the first time, so its better to just start fresh. Especially if the repair cost is within reasonable range of what the entire kit will be
I have plowed in my V1 hard lots of times. Replace the main, feathering shaft and anything obviously broken and it flies good as new. No need to buy a new one for that reason. Its almost impossible to spend more than about $50 on a single crash unless you fly it into a lake. I own two so I always have one ready to fly.

I've had the tail motor go from a crash. That wasn't obvious and took a few batteries to fail. I also managed to bend the motor but that was actually a multi crash event as the motor made noise for a while. Those two items were not very noticeable.
RustyChain is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

With most transmitters the channel range is 0 to 100 with 50 being the mid point. Open TX the range is -100 to 100 with the midpoint at zero.

If you are setting your throttle to 60 80 100 that is more like 80% 90% and 100% in open TX. For the M2 that is pretty much ballistic.

I would in your situation start with 0 20 40 until you get orientations and some flights under your belt. The M2 is pretty stable and forgiving at lower rpms. It will be much softer on collective.
Smoggie likes this.
Gentcpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2021, 01:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishig View Post
I have a flat throttle curve for Normal, Idle Up 1 and Idle Up 2 (60%, 80%, 100%).
As per the last post, those throttle % are all too high. With OpenTx the highest you ever want to go with the V2 ort Explore is 55%. Any higher and the ESC has no overhead for the governor. Due to the ESC end point calibration it's actually flat out at 76% so your 80 and 100% curves are in fact 'throttle wide open' which is no use and will make the heli very twitchy to fly.

Somewhere around +20% would be far better for your needs.

Attached is graph showing throttle % (for OpenTx) against actual RPM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle.png
Views:	19
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	926205  
Old 07-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. I realise I have confused myself and everyone here. I was running my M2 with external receiver but now I am using the built in OMP Rx which doesn't require any throttle curves as it uses 3 built in throttle settings.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks again guys for all the responses. I think I have a much better understanding of how to setup the radio. The parts to repair the heli should be here today!

It sounds like there are quite as few people responding here that have repaired this heli more than a few times. Should I be able to remove the motor mount from underneath without messing with the servos or anything that would need re-adjusting? I am not yet comfortable leveling the swash and or adjusting servos. I would prefer to learn that at a later date
loppydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in