Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By kavic5150
  • 2 Post By navigator2011
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 2 Post By kavic5150
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 4 Post By kavic5150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is this the toughest UAV legislation so far?

A new UAV law is due to be passed in Hong Kong to be enacted next year. Penalties will include large fines and up to 2 years' imprisonment. Some of the details are as follows.

1. UAVs over 250g will have to registered individually
2. Operators of UAVs over 250g will have to be registered and may have to pass a test.
3. All UAVs over 250g mush have a safety device installed with the ability to warn the operator if the UAV is entering a restricted zone as well as to provide telemetry and flight logs.
4. UAVs over 250mg must be flown at least 30M from people, buildings and vehicles.
5. Third party insurance of my to 10M Hong Kong dollars (US$1.28M) must be bought. This is a very complicated issue in Hong Kong as almost no popular flying sites expressly allow RC models to be flown and therefore insurers may not entertain claims arising from them.

I wonder if it is the toughest UAV legislation in the world? It will sure cause a nightmare among RC helicopter fliers and vendors here.

Last edited by zadaw; 07-23-2021 at 02:05 PM..
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this proposal the same on the main land or just Hong Kong? Is Beijing cracking down more on Hong Kong with this proposal? I remember being at the market in Shenzhen just a few years ago and seeing so many drones for sale. About a year later fewer drones for sale. I asked why and I was told that they required a license and sales had diminished.
Dan767 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am sure that the legislation is for Hong Kong only. For years we had one of laxest legislation in relation to RC model aircraft and now suddenly. I wonder whether there are any specific incidents involved. If anything, we bring it upon ourselves for flying recklessly for years planes, glides, helis and drones.

This is a typical example of reckless behavior. This drone was flying hundreds of ft right above thousands of people.

Stunning aerial footage of Hong Kong's historic protest (1 min 27 sec)
Old 07-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
4. UAVs over 250mg must be flown at least 30M from people, buildings and vehicles.
Brb going to google UAVs under 250mg. That sounds fascinating.

Just being cheeky. I'll edit this if you want.
JASON671 likes this.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It wasn't uncommon for me to see them being flown out on the street to stimulate sales.
Dan767 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

This looks like a "ban it without expressly banning it" law.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I am sure that the legislation is for Hong Kong only. For years we had one of laxest legislation in relation to RC model aircraft and now suddenly. I wonder whether there are any specific incidents involved. If anything, we bring it upon ourselves for flying recklessly for years planes, glides, helis and drones.

This is a typical example of reckless behavior. This drone was flying hundreds of ft right above thousands of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OjxW-K3FXI
I imagine a video of millions of protestors in the streets is the last thing the powers that be on the mainland want shared with the world.
Dan767 and TexanPilot like this.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The new regulations are even worse than I thought. Apparently, the flight logging device much come with a warning system should the UAV enter a restricted area. This feature is only available in drones.

Therefore this is effectively a ban on all RC helicopters that over 250g in weight.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

EU rules are very similar, but the flying object needs to be at least 150m away from anything else (buildings, people, etc). 30m seems very generous.
zurgxd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

In Washington D.C. they're banned entirely. So no, these aren't the toughest rules.
nybbler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgxd View Post
EU rules are very similar, but the flying object needs to be at least 150m away from anything else (buildings, people, etc). 30m seems very generous.
No, they're nowhere near that strict. The latest EU and UK regulations are pretty balanced, especially with UK RC organisations like the BMFA and LMA officially recognised, and with their qualifications and flying locations granting members legal permission to fly pretty much as normal.

The broader "drone regulations", which cover multirotors, helis and planes also makes allowance for sub 250g and toy models, for legacy RC and self-built models, and for large scale 25kg+ models (with responsibility for those in the UK being with the already existing LMA).

Lightweight and toy drones are even allowed to fly over people (since the risk is assumed to be low), and horizontal separation of 30-50m from uninvolved people or crowds is the rule of thumb for larger models.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/domains/c...y-civil-drones

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Cyclone7 likes this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Theres nothing balanced about unfair laws and regulations. And if you comply with those laws you'll only get more laws and restrictions.

Our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves right now.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
Theres nothing balanced about unfair laws and regulations. And if you comply with those laws you'll only get more laws and restrictions.

Our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves right now.
What exactly is unbalanced about us being able to fly our models exactly as we always have? The laws being added are basically to create some awareness & regulation around drone flying to keep the public safe, and to ensure there's some regulation around a new and growing type of industry.

I agree there are a lot of overbroad dumbass laws out there, but the current state of affairs in the UK is a pretty decent outcome:. I register with the BMFA, which I was already doing by virtue of joining the flying clubs, and that's my official registration with the CAA sorted. I can still fly my little models in the garden, can still fly indoor models over the winter, and can still fly my planes and helis at the flying field exactly as I always did.

Heck, it's even allowed to fly at parks & open areas provided you take reasonable steps to ensure it's safe - something we actually couldn't do before. And for some reason you're also explicitly allowed to drop items (and animals) from your models.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Cyclone7 likes this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my last comment in this thread as this topic has already been discussed ad nauseum.

Rc aircraft and the people who use them have a history of being extremely safe. There are already plenty of laws in place for those very few people who do bad things with them. Unlike motor vehicles and full size passenger aviation, Rc aircraft do not need any of these restrictions, licenses or registrations.

Tyranny is when a government takes away your freedom and sells it back to you as a privilege.
nybbler, Clinton1, blarks and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in