Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Returning after years- Need Help!

Hi all!

I've been away for almost 20 years. Wow how things have changed! MY last heli was a .30 sized nitro powered Concept 30 Nexus with flybar and a fancy new high tech non mechanical Gyro!

I do have a newer radio, and a Nice LIpo charger, but nothing else heli related. Where do I begin? I'm thinking about a smaller OMP M2 ( Explorer or V2????) and then jump back into a .30 size (550???) I'm going electric as I like the convenience, but will miss the sound!
Wmacky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many are liking the OMP M2/Logo 200.

However I would suggest if you are going to jump back in and make that investment anyway, spend a little more $$$ and get something bigger from the start. 380 size has many options but you may spend a couple hundred more. But so worth it.
jhamel and Thickfog like this.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default 500 class suggestions?

Looking to get back into the hobby with a 500 class heli. I'm looking for a decent combo heli package at a great price. So for a Align 500X combo for $674 seems to be the best price? Any thing else? I'd love to have a 55O size as it match the .30 nitro helis I used to love, but the pricing is way over a grand!
Old 07-22-2021, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have a good idea what you are getting into and what the hobby involves. My recommendation is to start out with a heli that spins 520mm to 580mm size blades on a single pack. 380mm blade size heli would be the absolute smallest heli I would recommend for someone with your previous experience.
Amain Field Representative
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 04:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Align 470 would be a good 'ice-breaker' - flies extremely well and parts are readily available. Very well priced too - both the kit and parts.
wjvail, Xrayted and mlp3028 like this.
Cyclone7 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everyone's saying "go bigger", and I get that, but I wouldn't count out the M2. It's a pretty amazing little machine and much less expensive than any 380. However it is actually, in my opinion, a little more intimidating to fly just because of how light and fast it is.
If you've got friends who have one see if they'll let you fly it to see what you think.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

While they have made great strides with the FBL, bigger helis still fly better, give you more time to react and can be seen easier.
ArmchairNinja likes this.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairNinja View Post
Everyone's saying "go bigger", and I get that, but I wouldn't count out the M2. It's a pretty amazing little machine and much less expensive than any 380. However it is actually, in my opinion, a little more intimidating to fly just because of how light and fast it is.
If you've got friends who have one see if they'll let you fly it to see what you think.
Agreed. I have much larger machines, but the M2 is the one I keep going back to. It gets way more flight time than anything else I own. No fear of expensive crashes, flies great, puts a smile on my face.
ArmchairNinja likes this.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks,

I Have been looking at the Trex 500X, combo, as the price i right at $674. But it is only "almost" a .30 size. (What a consider a full regular sized heli), Do I really want a "almost" .30? I don't think I do. However a 550 seems to put me well over $1000. I'm not sure sure I'm ready to spend that today.

This puts me back to my original plan to just get a M2 Today. Keep it as my permanent :small" knock around heli. then get a true .30 sized bird (550mm blades). a little later.

This is my thinking anyway.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Funny that no one has suggested a SIM yet. In 20 years they have come a long way.

To me getting a SIM is more important than the Heli choice. The big 3 are AccuRC, Heli-X and NeXt. I’ve used AccuRC extensively and am happy with it. But I don’t think you will go wrong with any Sim.

Welcome back
Old 07-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a sim and anything in the 400ish to 550 range, one batt. rig.

M2 and the other little ones are too small and squirrely for a come back. Great little birds, but not now.

Hope this helps some.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oxy4 Max (380 blades) is minimum size. Not everyone can learn on a 700 sized machine. I did and believe it accelerated my learning curve, but certainly not necessary. Bigger is better.......
Tnjet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I merged your two threads.

If I were to buy another 500 class, it would be an Oxy 5. The non-stretched model can be set up with blade lengths between 500 and 550mm.
cyclo likes this.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
I merged your two threads.

If I were to buy another 500 class, it would be an Oxy 5. The non-stretched model can be set up with blade lengths between 500 and 550mm.
I'm going to look into that Thanks..
Old 07-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 500x might have a combo, but the heli has a fixed motor mount which limits gearing and motor options and has a poor tail ratio unless you have the throttle pinned.

Xl power 520 is a great heli option. Put what you want in it, it’s light and cheap to repair.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Returning after years- Need Help!

If you’re willing to buy used there’s some deals to be found. Expect in most cases to need to replace bearings, links, etc… but you might find something you like
CrashNburn420 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
The 500x might have a combo, but the heli has a fixed motor mount which limits gearing and motor options and has a poor tail ratio unless you have the throttle pinned.

Xl power 520 is a great heli option. Put what you want in it, it’s light and cheap to repair.
Oh I like that one!. I think I found my bird.

I can get the 520 kit only for $419

Or

The 550 kit with 4020 motor for $490. What do you guys think?

I'm new to electric helis. If I got one of those, could the group help with the other parts? The kits appear to already come with the flight controller? Is that right?

I still need servos, and a ESC? I don't want sub par, but I am looking for good value. suggestions?

I have Tranis 9 + radio, but loking at a radiomaster, or even a Jeti DC24 tray radio.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am getting back into flying after a long hiatus as well. My first heli was a JR Voyager E...brushed motor, wooden blades, Ni-Cd batteries and FM radio. Things have surely changed a lot.
I have the trial version of X-Heli and it's been fantastic! I will be getting the full version asap.
Welcome back! I'm trying to fly a T-Rex 450 SE I bought on Ebay. It's very close but I keep running into parts availability problems, then shipping delays. So close...lol.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Macky, I feel your dilemma. I too returned after a hiatus of 7 years and here’s what I’ve found…
I had 2 Trex 500’s, one with a fly bar and one flybarless that I’d never flown or learned to program for that matter. I set both up and merrily made my way to the field. Took off and my wings were back…except…they, all of a sudden, looked much smaller in the air than I remember.
Now I have a Goblin 500 and a Goblin 570 that I picked up here. Perfection. Visibility? (check). Parts? (someone’s always selling something). Flight time? (At 1800 to 2100, 8+ to 6+ on 4500 to 5000 mah). I couldn’t be more thrilled.
I’ve got a few 700’s including a Kraken (slight addiction) but I absolutely couldn’t be happier with the 2 babies.

GOBLIN 770, 700, 570, 500, KRAKEN. LOGO 690. TREX 700 DFC, 700X, 600N, 500 ESP. VBCT, NEO
viperrj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2021, 08:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was away for about 10 years, fbl was pretty new when I stopped.
I came back with a Trex 500dfc for a while and then got a 550X combo.
The older 500's have different tail gearing to the 500X so can't comment on that but they are definitely cheaper for parts than 550 and up. Some 550 parts are just as expensive as 700 parts, but I think it should crash better with less mass. I liked the 6S 5000 size packs as saw it as perfect stepping stone to a 12S 700.
The 550X is a great flying heli. People say its got bad tail gearing but mine had 95mm tail blades in the kit and holds fine. It's still my go to to try new things on simply because its easy and cheap for parts vs my other helis.
Futaba 16SZ/Jeti DS12
Stevecg is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in