Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How did you end up discovering this hobby?

I'm curious how everyone discovered RC helicopters.

I'll go first.

As a kid growing up in the mid 80's and 90's I was fascinated with the RC hobby. On family trips to the mall I would frequent the magazine shop (remember those) and pick up copies of RC Car Action and RC Pilot to read while my family shopped. I slowly collected RC gear over birthdays and holidays, but was never deep into the hobby as a kid mainly due to funds. I was however absolutely fascinated with anything RC aircraft related at that time.

By the time I approached high school I was more interested in your typical diversions. Girls, drivers license, cars, and girls. I ended up shipping all my RC gear to my grandfather who was learning to fly RC aircraft (by buddy box) at the time in another state. I felt I had out grown the hobby and it was time to move on and figured this would be the end to my RC interests.

University came and went and I entered the workforce with not even considering anything RC related. One day however around 2009-2010 I had a family member approach me with a favor to ask. This family member mas a high school administrator and was curious in expanding their STEM offerings. My professional background was in a STEM field so I offered to help.

Previously the high school my family member was a administrator at had a robotics club, but it was being phased out due to liability. Battle Bots was a popular TV show at the time and the students wanted to make robots with exposed radial saw blades and other damage provoking designs so the school wanted to move into another area of interest. I offered to research RC aircraft and to put a proposal together. My idea was to price a system to fly a RC aircraft using GPS waypoints on a preplanned flight path.

Upon researching RC aircraft I came across RC helicopters flying 3D on youtube. From that first video I started searching other RC heli related videos and was amazed at the skill of the pilots as well as the abuse these helicopters could take. I was instantly intrigued and the RC interest I had forgotten about was reignited.

The stem project for the school that I researched never came to anything as the school had no budget for additional projects. I however have been dabbling in the RC hobby every since though.

So I'm curious, how did you discover this hobby?
rdlohr and soangp like this.
Shear Pin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good topic!

It's my dad's fault. About 8 years ago, he bought a couple of 3ch mall copters from a mall kiosk for his younger (and not so young) kids and grandkids at Christmas. I tried one, and I can only describe the feeling as magic - begin able to control this flying object with no strings, wires, etc.
I've loved flying stuff my whole life, but being able to control it was too much, even for a 30-something adult. I was hooked and within a few months had bought a Blade micro heli to start learning on.
soangp likes this.
TexanPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Syma S107 appeared in one of my Amazon searches about a decade ago, it was all downhill after that.
Hekicopter, LordDroll and KLRKris like this.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

kalt enforcer ZR.. then shuttle ZXX, concept 60SR
Old 06-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In the early 80's one of the companies engineers ask me to do some hi-vis graphics on his canopy and invited me to a meet.
The meet took place in a construction site, was hooked.

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was into hobby robotics... thought I could build an autonomous helicopter... figured a good first step was to learn a bit more about them. Once I got into them, I realized how "impossible" it would be for me to make a robot-copter (after all, this was back in the day before we had FBL controllers!). I enjoyed the new emerging class of micro helis (like the Walkera 4#3b) and have been hooked ever since!
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a long story why I like helicopters in the first place. But, my discovery of the actual hobby was a Blade 200 SRX at a HobbyTown USA.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wife bought me a toy helicopter for my birthday about 8 years ago.

I now have a fleet of 6 helicopters, 17 planes, 3 radios, have 3 more airframes ordered this week, and a wishlist as long as my arm!

Oops!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found a issue of RC Modeler in my grade school library about 50 years ago. RC Modeler gone as are most all other hobby related mags. Do kids still read books? Do schools even still have library's?
Old 06-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was into RC cars in the mid 80's to early 90's. Came across Heli club in 2005 and they talked me into having a go on a buddy box on a cal50. Then was into the trade and exchange until I found my own calibre.
Futaba 16SZ/Jeti DS12
Stevecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Obviously someone cast a spell on me because there's no way I'd spend this much money on a silly hobby Or maybe it was aliens.
nightflyr and JohnCl like this.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

11 or 12 years ago a girlfriend bought me an airhog and i quickly got bored with it and started reseaching for something better. That was about twenty cp helis ago and still enjoy every thing about this hobby.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

In 2014, I was wandering around inside the little store our company had.

There sat a Syma S111G.
I was hooked.

Math is hard.
Twin Rexx Chinooks, mCX, mCPX
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I liked aircraft all my life and would have loved to get into RC but first it was too expensive and later family life filled my time. In my 50's I was in a model shop and the guy flew an EFly honeybee around the shop. I was hooked, but back at my home town the local shop recommended starting with a foam park flyer which I did, and then went to a coaxial. Then to a TRex 450 which drove me nuts until I installed full stabilising FBL (SK720) on it. I still only fly with stability mode but as I approach 70 I enjoy building and occasionally flying my scale machines.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to fly all fixed wing until around 10 years ago when circumstances dictated I couldn't continue (life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes). Then, around two years ago one of my sons bought me a Syma S107 as a joke. Well, the joke's on him now! I'm only flying the small stuff so far (Nano CPX, Trex 150 and so on) but when I can fly more often than repairing, and have more money than sense, I hope to move up the size spectrum
Sloucher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My brother bought me a little heli you control with your phone for my birthday. It was near impossible to fly so I turned to a coworker who flew and he turned me on to a blade scout..the rest they say..is history
rickdawg73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

A guy I worked with flew his trex 500 for me. Within a few weeks I had a 450
CrashNburn420 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was building a Directly Downwind Faster Than The Wind model cart (DDWFTTW), which required a tail case from a Century RC heli for the transmission. When I went to the online store to order the part I said to myself - "Hey look... RC Helicopters!".

It was all downhill from there!
rdlohr likes this.
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My whole family has been in RC since I was very young. My dad and uncles got into helicopters eventually and one day Dad asked me if I wanted to fly. I started with a Nexus 30! Lots of dead spots in the grass while learning to hover! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
ssschmidt4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

YouTube recommended an Alan Szabo video to me. I was searching for 3D planes at the time. Forgot about planes very quickly.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in