Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX9 telemetry question

Hi all, I like to set up a plane using hw80 and spektrum telemetry rx, do I get an audible alarm for mah used on the dx9 or I have to use "smart" spektrum stuff?
AllanNg is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want to keep the Hobbywing telemetry, you’ll need to find a ‘telemetry adapter’ that converts the Hobbywing data to a format that your receiver understands. I’ve seen at least one project that uses an arduino to do just that. If you want a plug and play solution then the Avian ESCs are probably a better option. I’m not sure that the Avian accumulates mAh; just Amps.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess i have to use the avian if I want to get mah consumption telemetry on the dx9? Do I have to use smart batteries too?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don’t think the Avian solved the mAh issue. Just the DIY adapter issue.

You should still get a wealth of telemetry without using the Spektrum batteries. (Just not cell by cell voltage and a mAh rating of the pack AFAIK). ESC total voltage, temperatures, throttle percentage, RPMs, Amps (>60A???) should still be there.

I heard about a review of the Avians that indicates that they don’t report mAh consumed. Haven’t seen it myself, but it’s not exactly clear if it’s there…. Usually the FBL can compute mAh from Amps.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

So basically spektrum does not have mah used and alarm right?? Any other rx will report mah consumed and work with spektrum transmitter?
Old 07-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi all, I like to set up a plane using hw80 and spektrum telemetry rx, do I get an audible alarm for mah used on the dx9 or I have to use "smart" spektrum stuff?
You should first look at getting a Spektrum TM1000 telemetry module with the Spektrum XBus (4-pin) interface.
Also, the Castle Creation Edge ESC might be easier to get telemetry from than the HW. CC has a "Castle Link Live" interface for the Edge series that plugs into the TM1000 for telemetry.

The problem is getting the "mA Consumed" details for the "fuel gauge"

The HW, CC, Heli Jive / Kontronic report only their main battery Amps in (basically) real time through their telemetry output.

It is up to the flight controller (aka: Brain2 / iKON2) to sample and store the reported main battery Amps. Then the flight controller does the work to calculate the mA Consumed based on what's been stored. The result of the calculation is what is sent back to the transmitter as "mA Consumed".

If the Avian is basically a HW (or some derivation of the HW), then it is only reporting main battery Amps in real time. It would be up to the flight controller (receiver) in the fixed wing to do the calculations.

My bet is that the Spektrum flight controller's hardware (fixed wing or heli) isn't quick enough to do the calculations, and that's why you see no mention of "mA Consumed" on any Spektrum product.

You can also look at the JLogger (see their forum on the main page of HF) coupled with the TM1000.
Before the Brain2 supported the mA Consumed, I used the JLogger connected to my Edge ESC and TM1000 to get mA Consumed down to my DX9 for my Trex 600E. It worked great.
The thing about the JLogger is that it is supper flexible and is used by guys that are doing some really "out there" stuff with RC. They recently rolled out a new version of JLogger code because someone was testing his turbine jet and needed to record the airspeed up to 1,000KPH
The JLogger may or may not still be around, but the guy who designed it and supported it is still watching his forum.
He may have something that supports HW directly on his JLogger.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 07-27-2021 at 12:35 PM..
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tice, but all that just seem too complicated. I guess I just gona put a neo in there and my vcontrol and be done and have what I want. I started this thread because I want to use the dx9. Or, heck, I just go back to timer and keep it simple since it's only a 60 plane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in