Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OMP M1/M2

OMP M1/M2 OMP M1/M2 support

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool OMP M2 V2 tail motor burning up

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I have a M2 V2 and have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my tail motor keeps burning up. I am currently on my third tail motor, when I hover about a minute land and check my tail motor, it is almost too hot to touch. History: On the first 2 flights there did not seem to be a problem, on the third flight I was doing some upright funnels an noticed the tail would blow out. I landed that is when I noticed the tail motor was very hot. Not knowing this was not normal I took off again which led to total tail failure. One parts run later, with a new tail motor and a new tail blade. First flight tail motor worked great for the first minute or so, did a full thrust climb out upon centering collective pitch at top tail motor quit never to spin again Throttle hold and landed no damage. Dissected tail motor and the lacquer was burnt on the windings so motor was effectively shorted out. Got third tail motor installed and also acquired a friends M2 V2 for comparison, Ran comparison tests between the two birds. just hovering in garage for 20 seconds one tail is hot to the touch the other is barely warmer than room temp. This started from right out the box, but to be thorough I wanted to make sure there were no strange vibrations or harmonics that was causing this. so I replaced the main and feathering shafts still no joy. The tail blades have been replaced with new ones each tail motor swap and are on correctly. The next step is to replace the ESC. Wish I was not the curious problem solving type it would have been easier to run the thing over with my car. Anyway sorry for being so long winded but anyone got anything that I missed. Running on a DX8 with stock flight controller setup. I have been flying friends M2 same radio /settings, pirouetting full stick both directions with no issues.
Vrooooom likes this.
Cemefly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2021, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Double check the tail blade screw length, Mine are 5mm in length, the manual says 6mm but mine are 5mm checked with verniers, they may have put incorrect ones at factory, I know you checked tail blade direction, but wasn't sure about the mounting screws, maybe a possibility and another thing ticked off as checked.

Check tail motor mount screws are 3mm in length, another thing ticked off as checked.
Blade 70S - Blade 180 CFX (Micro Ikon2) - OMP M2 V2 - Blade 400(with Spirit FBL) - Goblin 380 - HK600 (Align Parts) - Kraken 580 - DX9 - TX16S (Open TX) - VBar Control Touch - Sims: ACCURC - Heli-X - Next
SyncRate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2021, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried adjusting (lowering) tail gain in the flight controller? Another thing worth a try before replacing anything else is setting the flight controller to factory defaults. To do that you press the setup button quickly ten times. After that you should re-check servo arms for level and do a calibration flight .
Old 02-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

send it back to omp for warranty. they have replaced at least one I know of due to a bad esc burning up the tail motors.
Gentcpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie View Post
Have you tried adjusting (lowering) tail gain in the flight controller? Another thing worth a try before replacing anything else is setting the flight controller to factory defaults. To do that you press the setup button quickly ten times. After that you should re-check servo arms for level and do a calibration flight .
I did not try that because I never adjusted it from out of the box. But I did a factory reset last night, then I lowered the gain. After a 20 second hover in my garage the tail motor was moonlighting as a toaster.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentcpa View Post
send it back to omp for warranty. they have replaced at least one I know of due to a bad esc burning up the tail motors.
I have a new ESC on the way but you are right, I will register on the OMP web site try to get a RMA and see what happens?
Old 02-13-2021, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I checked the screws they were all the correct length and in the correct position. I also reset the flight control and still hot after a 30 second flight.
I replaced the Esc did nothing to help. I replaced the entire flight control computer and new tail motor after a 30 second flight tail motor hot to touch.

Things I have replaced so far.
Tail motor 3x
tail blades 3x
spindle shaft
Main shaft
ECS
Flight control Computer
Old 02-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ????

Wow that is puzzling and frustrating for sure. Seems like you have replaced everything that it could possibly be. Have you tried flipping the tail blade over? Trust me weirder things have happened.
Tutankahmen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Really strange problem mine doesn't even get that warm.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’m having the same problem. I’m going on my 4th tail motor. Like you, I get one flight and then the motor burns up. Did you get it resolved?
DX8 g2
Vrooooom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

ptern (on rcgroups) thinks burning (hot) tail motors might be related to vibrations.
elub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had two of them fail. The first one was after doing aileron tic tocs as fast as I could continuously for most of a battery... the tail suddenly shut off in the air and it started spinning and fell. Had to replace the tail motor. Happened again another 30 flights later or so. Not really sure why. I fly pretty hard. On the 3rd tail motor now.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Setup?

I spoke with Dan today at OMP. (I think it’s Dave, lol.)
He said to do a reset of the flight controller. Push the button 10 times. I have another motor coming. He also sent me the Spektrum setup. I’ve flown it 30 times or so with the current setup. Worth a look.
DX8 g2

Last edited by Vrooooom; 04-08-2021 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: His name is Dan
Old 04-08-2021, 02:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A resolution of sorts

Well after burning through 4 tail motors, I checked just about every part on the helicopter. I changed all the parts listed above in my previous post, some of them multiple times, Checked for vibrations, changed bearings, swapped out the FCC, ECS, receiver then just to be thorough reset the FCC I just changed by pressing 10 times , It just was not passing the common sense test. I even swapped it to my IS20 radio with a new satellite receiver. Finally the heli gods smiled on me and when motor number 5 failed it pirouetted out of control into a upright then into the neighbors pool. I recovered it a week later when he got back to Vegas and granted me access to his pool, I don't jump walls now as easily as i did when I was 50, it took its secrets to the grave. It would have been nice to know what caused this right out of the box. My buddy's M2 that I borrowed fly's great. I swear his fly's as stable as my 450 with a V-bar. for my efforts I have a box of parts and could have probably purchased 2 new M2s with the money that I spent on clubs to beat this dead horse. I will take a little break to reset, but thank you all for the suggestions. Sorry I could not figure out a solution. As a tribute here is my list of parts ordered trying to resolve issue, never say i did not try.

Anythingheli

Order #386005
Order Date: 9th Feb 2021
This order is marked as Shipped
Your Order Contains:
1 x OMP M2 - Full Washer & Shim Pack
1 x OMP - V1 ESC set - M2 V1
1 x OMP M2 - Aluminum Main Shaft Lock Collar Set
2 x OMP R11-3 BL Tail Motor - Orange - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Tail Motor - Black - M2 EXP / V1 / V2

Order #385896
Order Date: 4th Feb 2021
Your Order Contains:
1 x OMP M2 - Tail Blades - Black - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Cyclic Servo Horn / Arm Set - Black (6pcs) - M2 EXP / V1 /
2 x OMP M2 - Main Shaft Set (2 Pack) - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
2 x OMP M2 - Feathering / Spindle shaft set (2 Pack) - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Pros and Cons Linkage Rods (4pcs)- M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Servo Linkage Rods (6pcs) - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Main Blade Grip Thrust Bearing Set - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Rubber Damper Set (10pcs) - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - R11-3 BL Tail Motor - Yellow
1 x OMP M2 - 175mm Main Blades - Orange - EXP / V2 / V1
1 x OMP M2 - Carbon Fiber Tail Fin Set (2pcs) - EXP / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Swashplate Guide - M2 EXP / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Tail Motor - Purple - M2 V2
1 x OMP M2 - High Precision CNC Aluminum Servo - M2 V2

Order #385778
Order Date: 30th Jan 2021
Your Order Contains:
1 x OMP M2 - Cyclic Servo Horn / Arm Set - Black (6pcs) - M2 EXP
1 x OMP M2 - Main Shaft Set (2 Pack) - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Feathering / Spindle shaft set (2 Pack) - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Plastic Ball Linkage Head Set (12pcs) - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Steel Ball Link set - M2 EXP / V1 / V2
1 x OMP M2 - 175mm Main Blades - Yellow- EXP / V2 / V1
1 x OMP M2 - 175mm Main Blades - Purple - EXP / V2 / V1
1 x OMP M2 - Tail Boom Set (2 pack) - EXP / V2
1 x OMP M2 - Tail Motor - Purple - M2 V2
3 x Gens Ace 3s 60C 700mAh with XT-30 Connector - OMP M2

and from Amain hobbies.
Order #6306568
Placed Feb 9 2021 at 1:54 AM (Pacific Standard Time)
Order Total: $156.02

1 x OMP-OSHM2072 OMP Hobby ESC $24.99
x OMP-OSHM2113 OMP Hobby Flight Controller V2 $89.99
Old 04-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum setup

I got the new tail motor today. After installing I did another reset to be sure.
I went over the PDF Dan sent me. He has the throttle curves all at 0 65 65 65 70. I fly inverted and canít have that. So my curves were set at iu1 80 75 70 75 80 and iu2 85 80 75 80 85. That worked for 3 months without trouble. This evening I checked her out. In normal mode it has a fierce left drift now that disappeared in iu1. I flew in iu1 for a couple and flipped into iu2. The main motor spun up incredibly fast and I flipped back to normal mode. The motor didnít slow down and in normal mode with super high rpms all I could do is hit throttle cut while trying to dodge a tree branch. Met the neighbors for the 1st time, lol. I had to get it off of their roof! Nice folks!
Act 2. I replaced a broken main blade, no other damage. This time I set the iu1 curve at flat 65 and iu2 at 70. The main motor did not run away this time. So, left with a drift in normal mode and only 70% throttle. Iím using a DX8 g2 btw. It seems if the flight controller see anything higher than 70% throttle itís off to the moon.
DX8 g2
Old 05-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got the answer to this. Vibration. And it does NOT take very much. I replaced both shafts, balanced blades, checked swash linkages, etc. After this, heli was MUCH smoother spooling up. And after flying, tail motor is cool to the touch. I found a discussion somewhere saying this is a known issue. I have to agree.
rspiegel likes this.
AMA #118235
BobHyatt is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHyatt View Post
I've got the answer to this. Vibration. And it does NOT take very much. I replaced both shafts, balanced blades, checked swash linkages, etc. After this, heli was MUCH smoother spooling up. And after flying, tail motor is cool to the touch. I found a discussion somewhere saying this is a known issue. I have to agree.
I think you are right!

I just had a little crash (damage minimised with throttle hold) into the grass, because I am hopeless at taking turns / doing circuits..

It looked like just 2 servo arms broken.

I stupidly didn't check spindle shaft and other bits for vibration on the bench. Instead, I took it outside to test over the lawn with the canopy off.

I noticed it was louder immediately.

I hovered a bit, moved around a little, and then the tail died completely and the heli smacked down quite badly - bent boom, snapped carbon fibre tail fin, etc.

Tail motor was too hot to touch!

Prior to this, I had read this thread before getting my M2, and I had been checking the tail motor and it was always cool.

So my first little crash and me failing to fix vibrations *before* a test flight, caused a further catastrophic crash.

What is good though, is that my tail motor and ESC are actually OK. They seem to be anyway. On the bench here, my LCR meter measured 12.5uH between the windings, which was something.. something consistent anyway. I then connected back up on the bench, and everything seems to be working still.

So I don't know if there is a safety cut-off that saved the motor from being fried or frying the ESC, but I am lucky.

Just changed the boom now, also got a shattered tail fin, and the spindle shaft is in the bin now and was obviously bent. Will check mainshaft when reassembled.

The landing gear was all to cock afterwards too but surprisingly I was able to bend it back into shape! That's a first for me!

main shaft is banana shaped

Last edited by carl0s; 07-28-2021 at 07:29 AM..
carl0s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, I put it all back together, and ran up on the bench without blades.

Tail motor seemed OK for about 15 seconds, then smoke came out of it.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is how the root of my problem was found out and solved.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...w-s-M2-Explore

However your problem may not be due to vibration. Have you checked the tail motor wires to see whether they might have shorted?
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Here is how the root of my problem was found out and solved.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...w-s-M2-Explore

However your problem may not be due to vibration. Have you checked the tail motor wires to see whether they might have shorted?
Wiring was fine.

It's clear that there were vibrations because it was noisy in hover - about twice normal volume for the quiet M2. It had only been a gentle crash - just broke two plastic servo arms. But that must have been enough to bend the spindle shaft at least (no doubt).
I also am not sure about the M2x10mm bolts that connect the DFC arms to the blade grips. It's a shame they only come in the full bolt pack.

Anyway it was just in that noisy hover, and then lost tail control and smacked to the ground - I think I failed to throttle hold and pulled the stick down or something in a panic since it was spinning all over the place.

The tail motor was red hot.

and then on the bench, after I had replaced the very bent tail boom, and other parts - which means I re-fitted the tail motor and could see the wiring was fine - that's when the tail motor went up in smoke on the desk here. it must have been partially damaged already. The reading on my LCR meter obviously meant nothing. I will get a reading from the new motor when it comes tomorrow.

Last edited by carl0s; 07-28-2021 at 02:55 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in