Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By MariaFan
  • 2 Post By Cyclone7
  • 2 Post By tkranz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2021, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flying with Parkinson's

233B – 7-31-21 – 2PM; Flew Trex 500 at G Field, after a few bad Parkinson’s days and nights, I had a sketchy time with pre-flight and a sketchy 2 minutes in the air, then landed and aborted the rest of the planned flight.

Had trouble attaching pack and canopy, with quite a bit of left hand and arm shake, which is usually my “good” side. OK control in the air, but was just not feeling it and was dealing with parkinsons shake warning signs. Popped off a back flip with no problem, but was having trouble judging my speed and position on the outer part of circuit. The disheartening thing is that there seems to be maybe a long range change for the worse in my Parkinsons symptoms during the past week. Next time I try to fly I will do it sooner after one of my medications for the tremors. I was almost due for my next pill when I flew this afternoon. Oh, well. I know I can’t go on flying forever with this progressive disease.
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm really sorry to hear this.
Clinton1 and Number like this.

Math is hard.
Twin Rexx Chinooks, mCX, mCPX
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My heart goes out to you, as I am sure is the case for everyone else reading your post. Could you not perhaps 'buddy box' with another pilot, so that you can still enjoy flying when you feel up for it?
mlp3028 and Number like this.
Cyclone7 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel your pain!

I fly regularly with a guy at our club with Parkinson’s. He has his good days and bad.

Just look at the silver lining. Even if you don’t feel it for flying, good fun can be found in the heckling!
Old 07-31-2021, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the supportive comments, guys! I was a little depressed this afternoon, but feel better tonight. Not ready to give up yet! I have 8 or 10 flights in this year, after about 20 last year. Time flies - it's been four years since my last active flying year with over 100 flights.
MariaFan and Number like this.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel your pain, I have MS, my left hand is numb and 2 years ago my eyes didnt track the same. Had to move my head, moving eyes was well F'd up.

Luckily it was in the winter and all i was flying well crashing was micros.

I had to re learn how to hold the left stick as i was a pincher and my finger and thumb would just fight each other. I flew My Indructrix FPV around the house to get use to how things felt, and i didnt have to move my eyes, fortunately my eyes and most symptoms went into remission.

My left hand is still numb and useless, except my thumb. My balance sucks, but i still fly everything just not as good as i use to. I hope you have better days, i just kept pushing and bought a lot of mcpx and bano cps parts. And i simmed a lot. Fortunately i fly with a lot of great guys who the ones who know will help me launch my glider and connect batteries, sometimes that can be a challenge.

Go to the field, if you feel like flying fly im sure someone will help you this hobby is full if great peaople. If you don't feel like flying hang out.

I wish you all the best and hopefully tomorrow is a better day for you

Blade 230S, Nano cpx, nano qx/3dqx/fpv, 200qx MCPX V2, Align Trex 250, 250 DFCplus, Trex 450 plus,Trex 500, JR Forza 450, and more I retired
Cman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you using Cabergoline?
Andersonsmog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in