Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spirit FBL system

Spirit FBL system Spirit FBL System Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dogbreath
  • 2 Post By Xrayted
  • 1 Post By Xrayted
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Geolink, altitude sensing

Sooo, for sensing altitude, does the Geolink just use a pressure sensor ?

Is the GPS only for horizontal position for geofence, rth etc. or does GPS sense altitude as well?
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

if i am correctly understanding the information in the manual => all embedded sensors like pressure, gyro, accelerometer, compass, etc are used to improve the precision of the GPS.

Ciao
Michael
Old 08-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, that's very vague though, and that's literally the only mention of the pressure sensor. So it doesn't really tell us anything. I suppose the ultimate question really is: Which is better when talking strictly about altitude sensing, the GT or the Geolink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid121 View Post
if i am correctly understanding the information in the manual => all embedded sensors like pressure, gyro, accelerometer, compass, etc are used to improve the precision of the GPS.

Ciao
Michael
Old 08-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great question. And when using both GT & Geolink, does the better one over-ride the other one?

Dan
trillian likes this.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
Yeah, that's very vague though, and that's literally the only mention of the pressure sensor. So it doesn't really tell us anything. I suppose the ultimate question really is: Which is better when talking strictly about altitude sensing, the GT or the Geolink.
There is a barometer for detecting altitude in the Geolink as well Trillian unless I am misunderstanding you? That's how any hard deck works as GPS is not a good way to determine altitude and has a large error margin of up to 15M and this error gets worse with altitude. That makes GPS alone completely useless for our needs as far as altitude detection goes

With the Geolink you have the barometer to trigger "rescue" and then the GPS working in unison to hold the model at that location. With the GT you will get the altitude trigger, but then you are on your own after that without the GPS no differently than standard rescue.

I do seem to recall mention of a better barometer logic being used in the GT due to faster processor, etc so that is something to consider vs the barometer in the Geolink though.

The biggest challenge for this tech on a heli is the constant changes in pressure that are created and how quickly/accurately the unit can detect these changes. This is why some may need to test at first with a relatively high 10M/30F deck in order to rescue the model before it hits the ground depending on flying style and possible speed/trajectory when breaching the deck

Even a small delay/error in readings for a 700 sized model coming in fast at a steep angle could result in the model breaching deeply through the set limits before rescue triggers. Easy upright sport flying on the other hand may be just fine with a much lower deck setting, even with some error so its going to be different for each pilot style
trillian and torpicaltrail like this.

Last edited by Xrayted; 08-18-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes, we know it has a barometer, and also GPS. But as yet, no definitive info on whether altitude is only determined by the barometer, and how altitude sensing accuracy compares between the Geolink and the new GT.

Soooooo, for example, if the Geolink relies solely on the barometer for altitude... and IF you only want the hard deck feature.... then it would seem logical that you could mount it anywhere and just forget about GPS, which would actually make it much more versatile (although - with redundant components - except possibly the accelerometer data for when the heli is approaching the altitude limit at speed, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
There is a barometer for detecting altitude in the Geolink as well Trilliuan unless I am misunderstanding you? That's how any hard deck works as GPS is not a good way to determine altitude and has a large error margin of up to 15M and this error gets worse with altitude. That's makes GPS alone completely useless for our needs as far as altitude detection goes
Old 08-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
Yes, we know it has a barometer, and also GPS. But as yet, no definitive info on whether altitude is only determined by the barometer, and how altitude sensing accuracy compares between the Geolink and the new GT.

Soooooo, for example, if the Geolink relies solely on the barometer for altitude... and IF you only want the hard deck feature.... then it would seem logical that you could mount it anywhere and just forget about GPS, which would actually make it much more versatile (although - with redundant components - except possibly the accelerometer data for when the heli is approaching the altitude limit at speed, etc).
Thanks, I see what you are asking now. That's a good question for Tomas I guess as he will be the only one to know precisely what logic is being used between the two setups, and how much if any of the GPS is used for the hard deck alone functionality vs what happens after the rescue occurs.
trillian likes this.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am interested in this as well.
Really only want a reliable hard deck.
I already have a standard unit with GeoLink in one Heli but would like to know if I am better with a GeoLink/GT or just the GT standalone for my next Heli conversion?
trillian likes this.
Voyager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in