Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spektrum FBL System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NX10 Build Quality

The gimbals on my old DX9 died again (the POTs to be precise) and I’m thinking of buying a new NX10. In the meantime, I’m using an old first gen DX18 and it feels so much more solid and precise than the DX9 and my old first gen DX8.

My question is this: is the NX10 build quality going to be as good as the DX18? I don’t want to spend much more than the NX10, but I’d be willing to consider the ix12 if the Android interface isn’t laggy and the NX10 quality isn’t up to par. Any thoughts?
tembit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The iX12 is always going to be slower than any other Spektrum radio to fire up and it is not too slow changing models (the iX20 is the fastest to switch models in the entire line) but it can slow down to 30 seconds from its usual 10 to 12 seconds. The hall effect gimbals will most likely outlast the radio. Failure rate is very low with those units (in general) and if it is working when you get it, the chances of failure out of the box are very, very low. I have owned a DX18 that was one of the first ones in the country and recently sold it as I bought an iX20 as a reward for a project I had just finished. I also have an iX12 from the second batch brought in by the local shop I bought it from (third month of production) and I have both gimbals setup the same. They are the front adjusting type that you will have on the NX10.

I fly helicopters, mostly, so I use the smooth friction surface on both and have no stiction issues (read up on the Teflon mod for more info about that, I never bothered to do it). There were times I had issues with the 12 but as time and updates progressed, those issues were corrected and it is a solid radio now. There is something to be said about the change in processors in the two radios, however. The iX12 is a second generation processor and the NX10 is the third generation processor. I seriously doubt that support will go away anytime soon for the 12 but at some point, it will have reached its end of service time. The NX series and iX20 will take more upgrades to what they will be able to do but honestly, are you in the .1% of model pilots that can even max out what any current high end radio brings to the table? I'm not and I use a lot of the internal features of both radios. I am one of the few that extensively uses telemetry, mixing, and multiple flight modes in my helicopter fleet. You may not be disappointed with the NX10 but the Text to Speech is a class higher than many other top brands in the iX line. Hope this helps more than confuses.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the NX10 (for about 8 months) and I have a DX18QQ that I bought many years ago and still use a lot. The build quality of the DX18 is much, much better than the NX10. The DX18 feels like a high-end radio in your hands. The NX10 feels cheap.

With that out of the way, the NX10 performs ok for my needs. The only complaint I have is that the sticks never show +/- 100 at full deflection. 98 or 99 on a good day. And that is after I have calibrated the transmitter.

If I was going to do it again, I would have looked for a Gen2 DX18 of a DX20.

Of course the iX20 is probably the future of gen 3 radios, but the price is too high.
georgia_hdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in