Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By hpaulmo
  • 3 Post By torpicaltrail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 800 size heli..worth the $$$?

Hey gang I've seen that Helidirect is taking pre-orders for The Trex 800 Pro. I've always wanted an Align 800 but after being a gifted a 700X by wifey I just wonder if the 800 Pro is worth chasing after? Since I've never seen an 800 in the flesh I just wonder is there a big size difference between the 700 and 800? I'm pretty sure I could just stretch a 700x to 800 (if I can find parts). Just looking for more info before I make a solid decision..thanks guys!
rickdawg73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2021, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's a very subjective thing. If you want a 'floaty' feel, it's a bit easier to get a light disc loading on an 800 because you have the increased disc area.

I have two very light 800s using custom frames and Align 800 moving parts, tail etc. and I really like the way they fly, almost the heli equivalent of a glider :-o

But to me, the difference is not as much as I thought it might be. I am flying my 700s at fairly low headspeeds and sometimes run small-ish packs.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say no. I have a 700X and I used to have a Diabolo 800L+ too. The Diabolo was floatier (4995g) and not as loud but I would not say it was better. Just different. A fine machine fore sure but I would not buy a T-Rex 800 to accompany a 700X.

Right now I have an 800 again but it's because of the turbine, not the size.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 770 that is fun to fly, but when I grab bird to head the field in a hurry, I pick my 700. Just not big enough of a difference in flight characteristics to make a difference, and if I dork it or nick the blades in a bad auto, less expensive to repair. I usually end up flying my 770 when my 700 is waiting for repair.

BUT; you still ought to get it, just to scratch that itch!
Roadkinghd and rickdawg73 like this.
hpaulmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree that it's very subjective.

I have the Trex 800e DFC pro, predecessor of, and very similar to, the new Trex 800E PRO Super Combo on pre-order at Helidirect that the OP is asking about.

I love mine, and if I didn't already have one, I'd be all over it. In fact, I'm really having to restrain myself

Besides being a great flyer with fantastic presence in the air - stable, locked in, nimble for it's size - the super combo looks like a real value, with excellent electronics all the way around.

I fly Spirit so would swap out and sell the Microbeast.

But if you use Spektrum and like Microbeast, it's bind and fly. Maybe upgrade the MB to the Pro firmware so you'd have rescue. Also, I couldn't handle the look of the landing gear so "downgraded" to these, perfect fit, look and work great: H70F001XXT.

Others say it's not that much different from a 700. I beg to differ... Put this in the air, and you will not NOT feel like you're flying a 700
torpicaltrail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2021, 03:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 800s are amazing

I once stretched my Gaui X7 out to run 800 and I loved it. Autos were amazing. Loved how it felt. I am trying to stretch my Raw now
Edge67 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in