• 2 Post By JimJW
  • 1 Post By jrman83
  • 3 Post By jrman83
  • 1 Post By ht.hitech
  • 1 Post By JimJW
  • 1 Post By jrman83
  • 2 Post By myxiplx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Differences in Running Costs Between Oxy 2, 3, and 4 After 1000 Flights

The following is what I have spent on replacement parts after 1000 flights for these helis. The number in brackets refer to dumb thumb crashes.

Blade 150S - $548 ($176)
Oxy 2 - $1032 ($348)
Oxy 3 - $1521 ($130)
Oxy 4 - $327 ($70)

Obviously I don't have as many dumb thumb crashes with the Oxy 3 and Oxy 4 because I am more careful. However, there is a huge difference in reliability between the Oxy 3 and Oxy 4. For example, I am still using the same belt on my Oxy 4 after 1000 flights. Whereas I would have gone through several belts (and crashes) on my Oxy 2 and Oxy 3. Also, I don't have problems with exploding heads and exploding tails as I did with the Oxy 2 and Oxy 3.

So based on my experience, I would strongly recommend that you get an Oxy 4 over an Oxy 3 especially since they fly very similar and have similar construction.
cyclo and mgrezmer like this.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, fascinating data, thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow!

This is really good information.

It just feels like Lynx is a dying brand. Limited, discontinued and overpriced parts combined with yesterday's designs.

Much happier with M2 now.
Comrade_D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2021, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could show similar data, but when I bought my Oxy 3 and at least the first Oxy 2 my skill level was pretty bad compared to now and the Oxy 4/4M came much later.

If only a portion of your money spent has been spent on parts from dumb thumb crashes, what caused the other crashes? Electronics failures? Missing loc-tite on pieces? I ask that because in several thousand flights across Oxy 2 through Oxy 5 I can only remember 1-2 issues from a part. The majority of issues people have with parts is not issues with the parts themselves.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had over 1100 flights on my Oxy2, 3 and 4Max combined over the last year. 21 crashes in total (Oxy2- 6, Oxy3- 12, 4Max- 3) absolutely all of them, bar 1 failsafe, have been pilot error 😂, not a single mechanical failure in flight. Probably around half the crashes have been into thick vegetation with zero or very little damage. Worst one was tail first into the side of our house with the Oxy3, which was expensive to fix🤬
The Oxy's have been super reliable in flight for me.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade_D View Post
It just feels like Lynx is a dying brand. Limited, discontinued and overpriced parts combined with yesterday's designs.

I’m not sure how you came up with that conclusion. It would appear to me that Lynx/Oxy has a very good supply of parts across the product line. See Lynx.com for yourself. Across the entire line, 2,3,4,5 there was only a handful of parts that were not in stock.

It would certainly be interesting to see a OEM direct drive tail option for the Oxy2. Some have tried it, it’s really a simple thing to do.
jrman83 and blarks like this.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had Oxy 2, Oxy 3 and Oxy 4 in the past, and just this year I built an Oxy 4 Max from kit. I agree that Oxy 4 and Oxy 4 Max fly great, but they're kind of a different animal from OXy 2 and 3. Oxy 3 for example is smaller, higher headspeed, a bit denser or heavier, so it's going to crash worse than the 4 or 4 max.

Best crashing heli I've ever had has got to be the M2. BUT, there are limits to the direct drive tail, so for actually learning, you pretty much have to progress to something bigger eventually.

I love Oxy helis, and I'd say if I had to choose, the Oxy 4 actually is the best flying model I have.

Oxy 4 Max flies good too, but it's super light, so I usually fly at a lower headspeed with it for my beginner thumbs.

Oh, and Lynx is great! I disagree that they're doing badly. I'm pretty much convinced they're the best designed helis for the price. I'm thinking about getting an Oxy 5 HF to build and fly, if I can get the space to do it. Maybe I'll have to sell one of the Oxy 4's dang.
EndoDusk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Paying $20 to ship a single screw from Vietnam is ridiculous.
Only 1 available $50 motor for Oxy2, explodes after 200 flights.
Lynx servos for Oxy 2 are a story of their own.
Bunch of inconsistent kit versions that are all named “factory edition” or “sport” are confusing.
Good luck finding CNC parts for it.
All the Oxy forums are dead.
Their FB posts get almost no likes.
Representatives are nowhere to be found.

While everybody is going direct drive, the best Oxy could do is cut out the frame so we could use some mystery quad motors.

Pretty sad picture.

Last edited by Comrade_D; 06-17-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
I could show similar data, but when I bought my Oxy 3 and at least the first Oxy 2 my skill level was pretty bad compared to now and the Oxy 4/4M came much later.

If only a portion of your money spent has been spent on parts from dumb thumb crashes, what caused the other crashes? Electronics failures? Missing loc-tite on pieces? I ask that because in several thousand flights across Oxy 2 through Oxy 5 I can only remember 1-2 issues from a part. The majority of issues people have with parts is not issues with the parts themselves.
There were electronic as well as mechanical problems. I had problems with motor suddenly cutting off in mid-flight, this was particularly common with the Oxy 2. Some of the mechanical failures were due to previous poor repair on my part. But I have consistent problems with stock tail blades getting fractured and thrown off at the root with all 3 Oxys, in particular the Oxy 3. The problem was solved after changing to tail blades of other brands. The head on my Oxy 3 exploded once because the feathering shaft fractured in mid-air. It seems the head of the Oxy 3 is not as sturdily constructed when compared to the SAB Fireball.

My experience with the OMP M2 is the opposite. I found the Oxy 2 much more crash resistant than the M2. Moreover I had a lot of electronic problems with it. My OMP M2 have only had around 300 flights before I shelved it. I am not particularly keen on direct drive motor because of the extra weight. The 560g Oxy 3 clearly flies better than the 750g SAB Fireball.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Have you flown any size Oxy? Ever? I guess if all your interest lies in a 200 sized heli, fly what you want of the choices you have. Don't think the M2 exactly compares with my Oxy 5 Meg with 610 mains though.
slogoat likes this.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Paying $20 to ship a single screw from Vietnam is ridiculous.
Only 1 available $50 motor for Oxy2, explodes after 200 flights.
Lynx servos for Oxy 2 are a story of their own.
Bunch of inconsistent kit versions that are all named “factory edition” or “sport” are confusing.
Good luck finding CNC parts for it.
All the Oxy forums are dead.
Their FB posts get almost no likes.
Representatives are nowhere to be found.

While everybody is going direct drive, the best Oxy could do is cut out the frame so we could use some mystery quad motors.

Pretty sad picture.
Common sense would be to order from the dozen or so local hobby online stores that stock most all Oxy parts. Your "single screw" analogy lacks common sense, sorry.

Is there more than one motor available for the M2? Just curious why that is important? There are several motors that people have run in the Oxy 2 and the new frame pieces allow for even more choices. I have run the Lynx servos for a few years and put in over 1000 flights with them. For a sub-micro servo they are pretty reliable. They do develop slop over a period of time but so does nearly every servo out there. But, you have several other choices of servos. I decided to try a different brand servo with my Oxy 2 and they work great, but don't have but a couple hundred flights on them to date. I have never found the differences in kits confusing, however I can see how it could confuse a few that can't take the time to glance at the manuals of the kits still available. Again, if you have no luck finding parts, maybe you should ask around for where others found them instead of just saying you can't find them.

In case you haven't noticed, many of the forums have less traffic. Even SAB is no different. Most things have been more focused on fb than ever before. I don't look at likes, so not sure anyone cares as much as maybe you point out.

When the Oxy 2 was made it was thee heli to go to in its size class. No other brand could compare for how well it flew or how reliable it was. All the Blade models are don't compare and the Align 150 was plagued with issues and from what I hear, still is. The Oxy 2 has been around for almost 4yrs. They did set the standard for a 200 class heli and proved that you could have one in the size range and have a stable, reliable heli that could be built no different than any other kit heli out there. I would argue that if the Oxy 2 didn't come along, you'd likely not have the M2 that you appear to like so much.

If all you want to do is fly 200-classed helis, then fly your M2 until your fingers bleed. Stop coming here and bashing Oxy when you seemingly have about a seconds experience with the brand, or the Oxy 2. Maybe step up to something a little less toy-like? Try the Oxy 5 and come here and tell us how horrible it is, or Oxy 3 even.
cyclo, KiwiBlair and xoexoe like this.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love Oxys.

M2 is fabulous, fly out of the box and Direct main drive is pretty awesome.
So, I converted my extra Oxy 2,3,4 to direct main drive, they still fly well.

I have spent more than thousand dollars on Oxy 2 but not because of crash, failure parts, because I enjoys testing on various sub micro servos, wing servos, motors, blades.
Wide variety of Lipos 3s 650, 850, 1000, 1300, 4S 650, 850.
How versatile Oxy 2 it is.

The last test for me is SH frame and 2305/2308 motor, 4S power.
I rebuild my Oxy2 tail completely with new parts as there was binding in tail slider. I haven’t flied yet but I am sure it fly well again.

Oxy 4 is the least spent, the most I like and my go to flier.

Can’t comment on Oxy 5, as it is still in the box last 2 years, pending build.
EndoDusk likes this.

Last edited by ht.hitech; 06-19-2021 at 02:03 AM..
ht.hitech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
If all you want to do is fly 200-classed helis, then fly your M2 until your fingers bleed. Stop coming here and bashing Oxy when you seemingly have about a seconds experience with the brand, or the Oxy 2. Maybe step up to something a little less toy-like? Try the Oxy 5 and come here and tell us how horrible it is, or Oxy 3 even.
Ummm ok, Zuckerberg.
I normally fly a 220’000 lbs Airbus. Now tell me more about stepping up. You sound very cute doing that.

200 size helicopter is a largest RC toy that I can bring with me on my trips.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Comrade_D, you missed the point.

Most Heli’s in the 200mm and below range are crap. The Oxy2 was the best thing going by a long shot since it was released about 4 years ago. The larger Oxy’s or any in general are going to be a step up from anything smaller.

It’s not like the OMP lineup doesn’t have it’s own issues.
KiwiBlair likes this.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would be surprised if he has flown an Oxy 2 or knows how to set one up. Not sure he understands the meaning of stepping up either.
KiwiBlair likes this.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say most of his comments were spot on. Lynx servos strip gears, I've very rarely had the "servo saver" arms work and the 1911 motor is an expensive crapshoot.

I still love my Oxy2's, but there are well known problems with the range that were never addressed.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
KiwiBlair and tryzub like this.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2021, 12:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
Comrade_D, you missed the point.

Most Heli’s in the 200mm and below range are crap. The Oxy2 was the best thing going by a long shot since it was released about 4 years ago. The larger Oxy’s or any in general are going to be a step up from anything smaller.

It’s not like the OMP lineup doesn’t have it’s own issues.
Yeah, I've had all the oxy's except the 5 and I have enjoyed them all. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the price of parts. Parts are pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I currently have an Oxy 3 and an XL 550. The parts for the Oxy 3 are just as much as the XL which is much much bigger. How does XL get away with good cheap parts and Oxy can't?

As for the OMP, I had an M2 and I would say it flew pretty damn good, however, the tail was not my favorite. I could not do a tail slide without it blowing out. Also, certain maneuvers couldn't be done hard without the tail blowing out. Not a fan of that! The Oxy 3 is solid as is the Oxy 2 for the smaller Oxy's. Lucas just needs to fix the parts pricing. I would choose an Oxy 2 over an OMP M2 any day!

XL 550 Egodrift 1220kv, OMG cyclic servos, KST tail, HW 120amp ESC, Ikon 2 FBL.Oxy 3 Tareq, xnova motor, MKS servos, IKon2, HW esc. 2 blade 70s
Blades345 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in