Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2nd KDE Motor 700XF Failure

Since the first KDE motor failure, I have my second failure today and within a month. After a power cut in flight in which I manage to auto down with only a landing gear failure on my G770, the motor was seized. As I tried to open up the motor, this is what was discovered.

Broken pieces of motor was found caught in the motor thus seizing the motor mid flight.
My previous 700xf motor had the same failure but the broken pieces were smaller.
This is absolutely unacceptable, I bought the motor with high hopes I am getting a good product.
This motor was on 12s coupled to a cc edge 160HV and I was not even pushing the heli just cruising around at low rpm.
I am so going back to Scorpion!!!
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like the old style? I had countless hundreds of flights on mine without any issues, looks like it overheated?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just love the ****ING clowns who trash talk without PROPER RESEARCH ! !!
RAPTOR 90 3D OS91HZ 1ST HELICOPTER
TTRAPTOR903D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

That looks like an old V1 motor, so the question is.........how many years old is the motor and how much time is on it? Has the helicopter ever been crashed?

This can happen to any motor on the market, just because it happened to brand X does not mean it won't happen to another brand. It's very easy to bash a manufacture, but very hard to pin down the real issue.

We as hobbiest need to be able to handle certain mechanical break downs. Especially products that are several years old. If you cannot handle a break down in this hobby, well enough said there.

Another thing to consider is replacing major gear/products after a years worth of hard flying. Or several years of mild flying. I replace my motors and servos after one year of flying. The rest of my equipment get replaced after a couple years of flying. This keeps my helicopters in top shape for every summer to bash on, and winter for some mild flying. I also go through my whole system every Spring and Fall. Everything get's tore down and inspected or lubed to get ready for each major season of flying.

Every time my helicopter goes up in the air I write it off. Whether it be from my dumb thumbs or a mechanical break down.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by thenewguy; 05-06-2014 at 09:42 AM..
thenewguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got this motor brand new from flying-hobby for my g770. It has less than 10 flights definitely.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

The shaft on the motor would tell another story about 10 flights.
thenewguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
The shaft on the motor would tell another story about 10 flights.
absolutely....that shaft has been through the ringer man. I have a kde motor on my 600 with 100s of flights as well and its great.

maybe the OP isn't totally lying, maybe he was sold a motor and told it was brand new, but the shaft would have been my clue that it was not brand new. I have a scorpion 520 on my e7. it has about 60 flights on it thus far. I disassembled everything last week to just look and see how things were jiving with each other (first synergy heli and scorpion motor so just taking a peek). and the shaft still looks brand new (almost)there is a little line where the shaft rides in the bearing, and a mark where I tightened the setscrew down good. but absolutely nothing like the pic above.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

You guys are right, I had another KDE on the table and it does not look the same. The first KDE I got from flying-hobby was a V2 and the subsequent 2 units are both V1s. I did not pursue since I could not gather any information on their differences. The other unit was taken off becos the circlip came loose in flight and sparks was flying out of the motor during bench testing while this motor just seized in mid flight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in